Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage on Android!

Is this how it appears on your tablet or your phone? What happens when you press the Delay button and then hit the Grid button again?

This is my tablet and I did exactly this (delay+grid) before snapshot

Does the same thing happen on your phone, or does it work Ok there?

Cabbage crashes immediately on my android 4.1 phone (my tablet is 5.1).

Ok. I don’t suppose you know the native screen resolution of your tablet?

1280x800 according to wikipedia

I wonder if I should prevent auto rescaling on devices with such a high native resolution? Your native resolution there is closer to a PC than a phone!

[edit] Before going down that route I want to try another few things first. I’ll keep you posted.

Hi, Rory -

Finally finished with my HTML5 Android GUI tutorial, and can get back to Cabbage for Android. Here are my device experiences:

1. 2 devices running OS 4.2.2: your latest Android Cabbage build installs on both, but when run, immediately displays “Unfortunately, Csound has stopped.” (Expected, I guess.)
  2. an 8.3" tablet (native resolution - 1920 x 1200) running OS 5.0.2: installs fine, opens fine (only in landscape mode - is there any possibility of portrait as well?) Baseline runs flawlessly; display occupies about the left 2/3 of the upper half of screen (like example in a previous post here); your Synth example only once opened for me (and ran well). But many other times it didn’t open at all. (Can’t understand why.)

I finally figured out that to load my own examples, I needed to copy them to the CabbageFiles folder. Once I did, they displayed fine in the available .csd’s list, could be selected and got the correct GUI display. I also copied an Instructions HTML page to the directory, but when I clicked on the GUI button that should access this page, only a blank window appeared. Should this work yet?

It’s a nice feature that you can drag a title line to place the GUI anywhere you like.

I did try to get MIDI running with the 5.0.2 tablet. As expected, no go. Guess I’ll have to wait for Marshmallow.

Has anyone yet been able to get a MIDI input to work on Android Csound - with Cabbage?

Art Hunkins

The html help won’t work until I change around some code. I’ll have to think about it. I guess I could see about letting the .csd file determine if the apps works in portrait or landscape mode. I set it to be landscape because about 90% of all instruments I’ve ever seen with Cabbage are set out in landscape mode. I think you’ll definitely need a Marshmallow device for MIDI, and low latency audio drivers. I’m anxious to see this in action too!

Hi, Rory -

I’m happy to report that Cabbage on Android works on OS 4.3. (Since I know it does not work on OS 4.2.2, we can safely say it works on 4.3 on up.)

Two questions:

1. Of the three buffer settings, which is the default?

2. Do buffer settings within CsOptions in your .csd have any effect at all?

Art Hunkins

The middle one is default but the settings are saved once you make a selection.
Cabbage on Android
The hardware buffer sizes in your CsOptions won’t make any difference and you are not using any of Csound’s audio interfaces. At least, that’s my understanding of it. But the ksmps size should have an impact.

Hi, Rory -

Were you intending to get the HTML help (infobutton) working again? I’m porting another .csd to Cabbage Android, and would like to use this feature if it will soon be available. If not, I’ll just cope as I did before. (I downloaded your latest version [0.1 beta] and found that this had not changed from when I’d last downloaded.)

Art Hunkins

I did look into it Art, but my attempts at getting it sorted were unsuccessful. I thought I could simply get Android to launch the default web browser problem, but I couldn’t manage to call it from my C++ code. If I get some time to work on it again I will but right now I’m up to my eyes with work work. Hope all is well, I look forward to seeing your latest offering!