Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Crashes on Linux

Hello good people.

I’ve been using Cabbage for a while now (Cabbage 1.0.0, on Arch Linux, although I’ve seen similar issues with the GIT development branch), and it’s great, save for one thing: I only been able to use one instrument type per project (I’m using Ardour5 for the DAW). In other words, I can create an LV2 plugin of an instrument and include it in as many tracks as I wish, but if I have a second instrument (different LV2) and try to insert it into a track, the DAW immediately crashes.

Is this a known bug/limitation? I looked though the forums and couldn’t find anything.

Complicating things a bit is the fact that I had to patch Cabbage a bit to get it to compile under Arch linux (some files were missing, some incompatibilities to more recent GCC’s etc.).

If it’s not a known problem I’m willing to help debug the issue, but I would need some guidance on the best way to go about that. I’ve really liked being able to use CSound instruments right in a plugin, but only being able to use one instrument type has imposed a real limitation!

I’ve not seen this issue before. Did you have to hack the JUCE code base, if so I would advise against it. Hacking the Cabbage code base on the other hand should be fine. Have you tried with native VSTs? Do they work ok?

I haven’t played with the VSTs much, as when I first tried the GUIs didn’t work.

I’ll try that and let you know (it’ll be a little later, as I accidentally overwrote my binaries last night trying to do a debug build).

The only chance I made to JUCE was to enable to correct file browser type and to rename the lround function to avoid name conflicts (which others have done).

Btw, if you’re using the latest repo you’re on Cabbage v2. To build the older version, Cabbage1, you should use that repo instead. Anyway, let me know how you get on with the VSTs. Btw, I don’t think you’re the only one here using arch. I think @davephillips uses arch too? And he certainly has no issues with plugins from what I can tell.

Thanks for the response, Rory.

My initial assessment is that this behavior isn’t seen with the VST version of the plugin (I was able to place two plugins into a project without crashing). Unfortunately it will take a little while to see if the LV2 plugin may be working (owing to changes in GCC so some such) because I can’t get the LV2 code compiled anymore (the compiler complains in the OSC code about missing string functions and casts, and not being a C++ programmer is will probably take me a while to get that to work).

BTW, I haven’t pulled code from the repository in a while, but if you’d like I can give the V2 code a try, if you think it’s in such a state to try. (The above test was with the 1.0.0 tar.gz file I had downloaded before.)

Thanks again!

By all means give it a whirl. The LV2 stuff was contributed by falltx, but it has not been updated in a long time. However, considering the pedigree of the contributor I imagine it should still work, although may need a little care and attention. It definitely hasn’t been added to Cabbage 2 just yet. I’ll see if there is enough interest first.

I’m not committed to LV2 over VST, if the VST stuff works (initially in my DAW the VST didn’t work with the GUIs (one had to use the generic one), but it looks like it may be working now).

I’ll give V2 a try.

…By the way, it’s a bit off-topic, but if you’re curious, the album I used Cabbage on is released under a CC license, and I give a shout-out on the credits page…

Sorry, no Arch here these days, I’m still on Fedora 21. FWIW, Cabbage2 VSTs have been working well with Bitwig 2.1.1.

Unfortunately the Cabbage2 VSTs seem pretty unstable with Ardour5 on Arch. I’l continue playing around a bit (I got them to load once, I think), but the DAW keeps crashing pretty often.

The Cabbage 1 VSTs seem like they may be stable enough for use, so I’ll keep playing with those too.

On a positive note Cabbage 2 compiled relatively cleanly, with only a little poking on the file browser to get it to work.