Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Custom interface

Hello,

I’m wondering if it’s possible to create in Cabbage a “bitmap-based” custom interface (custom knobs coming from bitmap strips, sliders, LEDs and things like that, like the approach used by synthedit and flowstone…)

If not, are there plans of implementing this?

thanks!!!

Fabio

Not with bitmaps, but you can do it with SVGs.
http://cabbageaudio.com/docs/using_svgs/

thanks for the answer, Rory :slight_smile:

I wanted to use knobs that, when rotated, have LEDs around it being lit.

1 - Do you have any plans to implement that at somewhere in the future?
2 - and, at this point, is there a workaround?

thanks!

Fabio

Off the top of my head, something like this might work. It doesn’t look great as I didn’t spend any real time on it! But the idea should work? Oh wait, I just had another idea. You could place an SVG over a regular slider, but cut out circular holes in the SVG so when the slider is incremented it looks like LEDs are being turned on? I might try this myself if I get a chance, but right now I have to leave it for a bit!

LED.csd (2.6 KB)

Actually my second suggestion won’t work as the image will prevent access to the underlying slider. Let me think about it some more.

This one uses round toggle boxes for the LEDs. Once can set their value directly without needing to use identifier channels.
LED.csd (2.1 KB)

Hi Rory,

I can’t thank you enough for your attention to my question! It was really nice of you to put some time on it and I’m sure, it will benefit other people with the same question.

What I’m actually looking for is a solution to deal with photo-realistic imagery, which uses sequences of rendered images or a bitmap strip for the entire interface, with leds gradually changing intensities and slightly affecting the button, with soft shadows, blurred reflections and refractions, etc…

I’ve been trying to find a platform for this kind of development. I’m aware of flowstone and synthedit and tested both, but in terms of audio quality, developed content, flexibility and the possibility of further development in the future, it’s really hard to beat csound.

What you’ve got so far with is nothing short of amazing.If you’ll have someday widgets to deal with bitmaps, Cabbage will be the best tool for vst creation.

My question now is: will you consider bitmap manipulation in Cabbage in the future?

many thanks again!

Fabio

I’ve never been a fan of this approach. The fact that the controls can’t be dynamically resized without potentially losing resolution always seemed like a design nightmare to me. But I will look into it for you. You’re not the only one to ask for this feature! I assume you would like to use something like knobman to create your film strip pngs?

p.s. if you can send me a few example pngs for different types of sliders it would help. Note that I’m kind of tied up with other things at the moment, so it could be a while before I get around to this!

Hey Rory,

I get your point. Fixed sizes are much harder to deal with, but I believe that when you can customize the visual aspect you can create more identity for the instrument, which is important when you want to go beyond the prototyping stage.

It would be amazing if you could devote some time and give bitmap manipulation a try. I will gladly create a few examples for you. Please, let me know how to deliver the images.

Thanks a lot!