Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

File button example issue

I’ve just built version 2.0.02 on Linux Mint. The first thing I did was open the File Button Example but it doesn’t seem to be working and it doesn’t look right. I’m using JACK and clicking the test button I can hear audio so I figure it’s not a device issue.

Any ideas?

Hmm, well this is weird. I switched to HDMI out via my graphics card and the file button example is working again.

That is odd. I can’t see why that would make any difference. Can you switch back and see if the problem returns?

I just tested, if I switch back to JACK it goes back to not working. Maybe it’s because I use a pulse audio sink through JACK

Another thing I’ve just noticed, the text in the console is invisible. It was white when I first opened cabbage but now it’s gone. I can highlight it so I know it’s still there but I can’t see it.

Open the Settings windows and set the Console - Text Colour, that should bring it back. I’m not sure about the pulse audio stuff. I just use Cadence from KXStudio on Arch to control all of this stuff. I generally don’t mess with it at all.

Changing the text colour hasn’t made a difference unfortunately. When I restart cabbage the console text is there but as soon as I build the example it vanishes.

Are you working from the latest git source?

The latest github release from 13th of April. I also tried the source from February and results are the same.

Oh boy, a lot of work has been done since then! You should build again from the master git branch. Note that the build/install process has been split into two:

1. ./buildCabbage will build Cabbage only, all files will be in a local build folder
  2. ./installCabbage will install Cabbage system-wide.

Ok I’ll give it a go and report back, thanks

I’m getting a lot of errors building the master branch. They seem to relate to text buttons and combo boxes.

You need to update the version of JUCE you have. Sorry, I should have mentioned that you need to use version 5.3.2, details are in the README

Actually I did that first :slight_smile:

./buildCabbage: line 14: [: ==: unary operator expected
JUCE v5.3.2

Can you paste the output from the build process? That unary operator issue shouldn’t prevent the build from starting? At least it doesn’t for me?

Uh sorry, seems like I did a dumb. I cd’d into the wrong directory and was trying to build the old version again using the new version of JUCE. Just installing the new version now.

Okay, I go the latest build working and the console issue is still there. (So is the weird jack behavior but I’ve solved that by switching to the HDMI out). I have a laptop running the same OS so I’ll test the build on there later and see if the issue shows up.

Odd, it’s working fine for me here. let me know how it goes with the other laptop.

1 Like

Hi, I just tried it on my laptop and the result was the same. Here’s the build I’m using - https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8ih6hne2ksqxwj/Cabbage.zip?dl=0

Weird. I can’t think why that’s happening? I also can’t run that binary. One thing you could check is in the .config folder there is a Cabbage2 folder with the settings file. You could look at that and see if the Console text colour attribute changes when you run an example?