Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Important: vst2 plugin no longer an option

Steinberg have officially removed the VST2 SDK from their servers. So in the near future I will only be able provide VST3 versions of Cabbage plugins. This is going to affect quite a lot of us as the list of hosts that don’t support VST3 is quite extensive. For example:

• Ableton Live
  • ACID / Vegas (* announced VST3 support coming soon)
  • Audacity
  • AudioMulch
  • Ardour (eg. Harrison Mixbus, Podium and forks of it…)
  • Cantabile
  • DeVinci Resolve
  • Deckadance
  • Goldwave
  • LLMS
  • MultiTrackStudio
  • Native Instruments (Maschine for example)
  • OpenMPT
  • PreSonus Notion? (not sure)
  • Pyramix
  • Reason
  • Psycle
  • Renoise

That is really sad :frowning: LMMS only support VST2… I don’t know what to say, beside this seems to be the end of my big project.

So does it mean I will have to keep the Current Cabbage version to keep exporting to VST2 ?

I will try to update the latest source with your requests and then do a final release with support for VST2. I hope that this will be Ok and Steinberg won’t come knocking on my door…

Thanks a lot.

But yeah, that’s a real problem, I mean, I’m not even sure distributing my plugin (VST2) will be authorized now.
I will only be able to use it for personal uses, and can only distribute the VST3 version of it. But hopefully most DAW will support VST3 soon after this anouncement.

It seems unlikely, given the lack of support in major DAWs, that Steinberg will enforce “unauthorized use” in the near future. A year from now… possibly. I think it’s also important to keep in mind that it is bad PR for Steinberg to actively enforce this among a community that consists primarily of smaller developers. I would say, if you already have the SDK keep going with your projects but plan to switch sometime soon.

Unluckily, I sent the Steinberg license agreement only for VST3, because I was late with VST2 dead line, so, is in the next features of Cabbage the VST3 exporting option?

In the future yes but not just yet. But you don’t need to apply to Steinberg for a license as you are not using the SDK directly. Cabbage uses the SDK, so all that is on me. The current version of Cabbage still expeorts vst2.4 plugins. I don’t expect Steinberg will come after you, but if they do send them my way.

D’you mean that if I want ask you for a commercial license of Cabbage, to sell the plugin VST2 I make, I don’t care about I get not Steinberg VST2 license? Really?

You can sell any plugins you make with Cabbage, with or without my permission. That’s the beauty of GPL. But if you want to hide your Csound code from users you will need to purchase a license for Cabbage pro. I’ve PM-ed you details.