Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Installing Cabbage on Debian Linux Jessie (resolved)

I think it’s Csound6.04, but I can’t recall for sure. I think they bumped the API again after 6.03.

Cool. Take your time, I want to sort out a few last little bugs before merging the dev branch into master. I’ll let you know when that’s done.

just tried to export an lv2 but CabbagePluginSynthLV2.so was not found. I imagine a lot of linux users will be interested in LV2 export, so if its stable, please include that in the .deb.

Thanks guys! I’m super stoked about having these plugins!

I’ve never really used the LV2 stuff much. Is there any advantage over native Linux VSTs?

Hello, me and my buddy Matt installed cabbage on his Ubuntu “trusty” system yesterday, I thought I’d post what happened in case it is useful.

We used the new makefiles and SDK3 VST, rather then vstsdk2.4 (which I used for my Debian install). This worked OK except for MakefileHost, which still needed the old vstsdk2.4 folder in the ~/SDKs/ folder in order to compile.

There was also another compile error which we needed to install libxrandr-dev to solve

Also the desktop link to CabbageStudio was broken though it still worked from the command line

Other than that it was ok. Also we had to install csound from source code too because the package version for Ubuntu “trusty” wasn’t recent enough. Thanks everyone cheers

Hi @KezL,

I think the Makefiles haven’t been updated in github yet. I still see the old hard-coded paths.

I forgot to mention that the buildCabbage script has a lowercase/uppercase typo when copying the Cabbage Studio .desktop file.

Ubuntu 14.04, correct. Ubuntu 16.04 (released today) should work.

ok thanks

@rorywalsh the biggest difference is that LV2 is an open format, so for us flag-waving open-source purists, it’s much nicer. Actually from a plugin developers perspective there are a few things LV2 can do over VST mostly due to the meta-data capabilities in the spec, but a lot of it is just politics.

@KezL I’ll take a look at the build process for the host. I probably have it set to use 2.4 somewhere. Cheers for the heads up.

@gsenna, did you check the dev branch? The only hard coded paths now are the default locations. Custom paths should now work fine, although I still need to update the default VST paths to VST3.

@ssj71 That’s about the best argument that can be made for using LV2!

Yes, I checked in the dev branch. Specifically, the MakefileHost file. The CPPFLAGS are still hard-coded.

I agree we should be pointing to VST3 because that’s what you get when you go to the Steinberg’s website.

EDIT: Don’t forget to fix the CabbageStudio.desktop typo (Last line of buildCabbage)!

I think I have them right now. Sorry, I didn’t realise that they were hard coded into the CPPFLAGS!