Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Mixing VST midi out and Cabbage generated output

Is this generally unadvisable? Seems fine in Reaper

In Renoise the Cabbage generated audio sounds like a bunch of buffer underruns. This is when the instrument midi is routed to another instrument (Renoise’s way of routing midi to other plugins/instruments). Might not make sense if one is not familiar with Renoise.

But then I noticed that Renoise doesn’t allow you to specify buffer size by ^2, only integer ms. Could this be the issue?

Which OS? I haven’t tried Renoise in a while, I’ll download a copy. Yeah selecting the buffer size in ms’s is a little odd. You could try setting ksmps to 1 and see if that helps.

[edit] just tried on Windows and my plugins all seem to run just fine. Note that I’m still having issues with FL Studio and Tracktion. Not sure what’s up there.

This is Renoise 3.1.1 on macOS 10.12.6

Is that Renoise on Windows? Did you set ksmps to 1 or just leave it?

cheers

Renoise on Windows is fine. Are you using the latest binaries? There is a new beta for OSX available here.

I was having some issues with FL studio and Tracktion. Just now I tried setting ksmps to 1 and everything sounded fine again. I’m investigating.

Btw, does this audio problem only occur when you send MIDI output from the instrument while outputting audio? Anyhow, try setting ksmps to 1. If that works start increasing 16, 32, 64, etc, until we hit the one that breaks it.

Yes exactly that- sending midi from the instrument whilst it it outputting audio. I’ll give that ksmps trick a go when I get a mo