Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Oddities with init and hrange (fixed)

I’m seeing some initialization weirdness on a new effect I’m working on that uses hrange… the odd behavior seems to be triggered by the presence of the hrange widget, and even odder, whatever the default values are seem to come into play as well.

hrange bounds(10, 80, 340, 40), range(-1,1,-1:1,1,.01), channel("rmin","rmax"), 

creates all sorts of issues with other widgets in the effect, some of which I use in many other instruments and effects with no similar issues before. Commenting out the line removes the issue, but so does changing the default values, such as:

hrange bounds(10, 80, 340, 40), range(-1,1,-.1:.1,1,.01), channel("rmin","rmax"), 

The behavior seems to show up when first opening or when reloading the effect (via reload instrument), but saving the file once open in the editor does NOT trigger the problem… so it seems specific to the initial file loading behavior, but I may have misdiagnosed.

I can send you a whole csd off list if you have trouble recreating this issue. I’m using your binary release 1.0.0 on OSX.

Simplified test needed, but I also think my hrange isn’t passing any values at init… I get nothing until I move a slider.

edit - the behavior isn’t consistent, but I can pretty regularly recreate the second issue. With this example I load it in cabbage, then hit “reload instrument”… most times it will not create any sound until I touch the slider.

hrange_test.csd (885 Bytes)

Thanks. I’ll take a look. As I mentioned to Iain in another thread, these widgets have not really been tested at all, so expect a few teething issues.

I pushed through a fix for this. It still needs testing. I’ll build you OSX binaries tomorrow.

Thanks Rory! Were you able to find and fix the first odd behavior too? I stripped the new effect down to make another skeletal example late last night in case you were having trouble recreating it. All widgets are there, but no sound or processing other than the basic GUI… the hrange causes certain widgets to appear “on” at init even tho they shouldn’t be.

I can’t recreate the issue of other widgets misbehaving. I’ll let you know when I have a build ready so you can try it out.

Ok, here’s a stripped down version of the new effect I was working on… the only processing going on is gui stuff, specifically setting text for bypass and stereo collapse checkboxes.

When I load this file, most of the time the input OL led, output OL led, and test button show as enabled. Sometimes only one or two of the three show as enabled, but most of the time it’s all three. If I then save in my external editor (forcing it to reload), it loads properly as I would expect. If I choose “reload instrument” from the menu, it usually triggers the bug as well.

If I edit the file and change the hrange widget default values from -1:1 to -.1:.1 and reload it as if to trigger the bug again, all of those widgets usually init properly. The test button will show with the wrong font color, but with the disabled text.

All of this is very consistent and repeatable for me.

hrange_test2.csd (4.7 KB)

I uploaded a new version to the forum sticky about new betas. I also looked at the options to open Cabbage from the command line. I don’t know what’s happening, but it works fine when XCode open it with default arguments. I think we have to use the ‘open’ command but I’m struggling to find the right command to use. I’m going to need a little more time on this one!

Awesome, thanks Rory. This new build seems to fix both of the init issues I was seeing, so perhaps the two problems were related. I’ll play with it some more today and let you know if I find anything else out of place.

FYI: It seems that the fftdisplay widget is broken on this beta version. It doesn’t seem to be updating in real time.

Thanks. I’ll look into it. The joys of beta testing :frowning:

The FFT widget appears to be fixed in the new beta.