Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Partial Install - fatal error, (half working program)

Hi, I am receiving this error in the install:

…/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_processors/format_types/juce_VSTPluginFormat.cpp:49:44: fatal error: pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffectx.h: No such file or directory

I’ve followed a number of forums posts and installed like so:

sudo ./buildCabbage “/usr/include/csound/” “/usr/lib/csound/” “/home/whitevinyl/SDKs/VST3SDK/”

The SDK I got from Steinberg. It is 3, because I guess two has been discontinued but I saw some other users using 3…

While the program does run, ( I had gotten it to run from the basic ./buildCabbage) , it will do things like open examples and run fine but if I create a new Cabbage or try to export the program will inevitably crash. The program stays processing but the gui disappears and I have to run the kill PID command.

I’m on Ubuntu 16.04.

So it works for some things and it doesn’t work for other things (as I am trying to export VSTs for Ableton live 8).

The fatal error gravitates around : public.sdk/source/vst2.x/audioeffectx.h No such file or directory

Then I can see a commented line about including the vst2.x file

In the end we see:

cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbagePluginSynth.so’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbagePluginEffect.so’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbageStudio’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘…/…/Docs/_book’: No such file or directory

Hope someone can make sense of this because my computer knowledge is like a blind man’s sense.

Welcome onboard the Cabbage ship :wink: If you unzip the current VST SDK to ~/SDKs, then you shouldn’t have to specify a path. But wait, are you using the latest beta of Cabbage 2? I fear not. It look like you are working from the old repo. That’s my bad. I should and will do more to direct people towards the new version. Try cloning this repo instead:

And following these instructions:

This script is able to remotely build Cabbage on a completely fresh Linux image. It might be worth checking out the steps it takes as they should work for anyone wishing to build Cabbage from scratch. The before_install and after_install sections are most relevant. I’m not sure what Live has to do with anything considering it doesn’t run on Linux? Plugins you export on Linux won’t run on Live. The .csd files used to create the plugins on Linux can be exported on OSX/Windows to create native plugins for those platforms, but you need to export from that operating systems.

Let us know how you get on. It should be relatively simple to fix your build issues.

1 Like

Hi rorywalsh,

I appreciate your attention.

So my story is that I dropped my old laptop in a library and picked up a new lap top last month in Chile. The old laptop was one from college 10yrs ago. I’ll give a second shot on my new laptop which is a Lenovo 520 model.

I installed Ubuntu 17.10 and somehow, as you were thinking, Ableton Live is not really translating. At least at my level of understanding.

That’s all fine, hopefully I can get the Cabbage Studio running… anyway I’ll report back.

Thanks!!!

Hey Rory, finally got cabbage audio working. Super stoked!!:sunglasses:

I hope it didn’t take you 7 months to get it working :joy:

1 Like

No way, I gave up way earlier! I happened to change to the OS to an arch-based linux version and there was a really convenient package! Super top. Everything is amazing, had some fun with the MiniPop7 and fout opcode… whoa! I always wanted to be here. Super happy.

1 Like