Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

PieceWise envelope like E-mu Morpheus Z plane in Csound

Hello Rory
I have a question for you (and all Csounders) and Perhaps this will be a challenge for Iain.

Morpheus Z-Plane is a sound modular synthesizer, It has two “Function Generator” (FG) You can use it like an envelope. It has 8 segments ( piecewise-function) each segment could be 63 differents forms (linear, expo, random).
I would like to know if is there any similar envelope in csound.
something like GEN 18…
Thank you for reading.
Regards

Julio.

https://csound.github.io/docs/manual/GEN16.html

Maybe?

Hi, yeah, or maybe… transeg
I think a User Defined Opcodes based on transeg.
Thank you. I must read the csound book one more time…
J.

Yeah transeg may also do the trick. The reason I would lean towards using a function table is that you can use it whenever you like, in any instrument. If you look at the SpookEPad synth example you’ll see how I construct and display a table using some GUI controls and a gentable widget. This simple Instrument, instr 300, does nothing but rewrite a table each time a slider is moved in the user GUI. Instrument 1 then reads from this table whenever it starts playing. Keep in mind too that it’s very easy to write the contents of a table to disk, allowing for the possibility of users being able to save their custom envelopes.

I think transeg is really just the opcode version of GEN16 - they both have the same author. Using GEN16 will be more efficient as it will only involve table look-up from the instrument when notes are played, transeg will have to calculate the values required for each note played. As Rory says, using GEN16 with Cabbage will give you the bonus of being able to display the envelope in the GUI. GEN16 will provide you with straight lines, expo and log curves, if you need other shapes then it should be possible to implement using - as you suggest - GEN18, but the process would be a bit more involved.

Interesting…
Where is “the SpookEPad synth example” please?
Thanks.

You can find it here: Examples->Synths->mod_Spook-EPad.