Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Pre-release Cabbage 2 for testing - part 6

Here are a few Cabbage 2 queries:

The cursor position doesn’t follow-scroll when typing beyond the right-hand limit of the editor window. When moving the cursor with the arrow keys, follow-scrolling works fine however.

GUIs with Pop-ups automatically pop-up their pop-ups when their csd is started.

Can you have a look at the ‘replace’ function? Sometimes it just doesn’t appear, sometimes it causes a freeze.

Calling up the ‘find’ box does seem to work, but is there a way of hiding it? The only way seems to be to close the csd that was in focus when it was called and after that it is stuck on the Cabbage 2 canvas, underneath any other open csds. ‘Find’ also seem to cause crashes from time to time.

GEN02 with gentable, used to form a row of checkboxes seems broken. Can you have a look at the Cellular Automata example?

Can you remind me how to alter the fill opacity for gentable? I can’t seem to find the relevant identifier in the docs.

Just hit Escape and it should hide it.

Mine looks like this:

If your doesn’t, then I suspect that the file I uploaded yesterday doesn’t have the recent fix to gentables?

True, and kind of annoying! On a related note, it seems that JUCE no longer permits multiple parameters to have the same parameter name. What this means is using several widgets with the same channel name now causes some issues. I will take a look and see if I can fix it, but it may mean this is no longer permissible.

The table colours are set using the tablecolour:N() identifier. I apologise for the poor state of the docs. The current docs can always be found here.

Must be a mac thing. I’ll take a look.

I’ll take a look.

My cellular automata looks the same as yours in Cabbage 2, but checkboxes should be turning on and off and some should be turn on and off-able. Try the same example with Cabbage 1 and you should see what I mean.

What I’m after with gentable is a solid opaque table line but with a translucent, not solid, fill as used to be default with Cabbage 1. Are you sure there isn’t a top secret identifier not yet in the latest docs?

Esc with ‘find’, thanks. I thought I’d tried that. I suspect it’s still a fragile feature though.

Widgets with the same channel name not being allowed is a bit unfortunate.

Ha, you’re right, it’s called outlinethickness() :joy: But right now it uses the same colour as the table fill. I will update this so it uses the same colour only with zero transparency.

I’m uploading a new version of Cabbage for OSX. The fixes I made to the gentable didn’t get built for some reason. I’m not sure if it fixes this issue, but at least we’ll be on the same page. FWIW, I can turn on and off the checkboxes, although the colours are probably not what you want.

I’ve never had any issues with Find. I’ve not used Replace that often, but I can see where it might have some issue.

It is. It was useful for us to be able to mute certain channels. Now we will have to code it. Note that things might still work fine in the releases builds I prepare. I only get the crash in debug mode, which points me to some text about poor practice. But I have the feeling there will come a time when it won’t be tolerated at all.

The problem with GEN02 and gentable persists with the new version unfortunately. The problem is really just that the on and off colours are almost identical.

Sticking with the topic of gentable, layered tables don’t seem to be visible.
LayerGentable.csd (494 Bytes)
This works fine with Cabbage 1. Another sneaky change of syntax?

Swap
tablecolour("red", "yellow")
with
tablecolour:0("red"), tablecolour:1("yellow")
I’ll sort the gen02 issue. Also, there are a few other problems with gentable at the minute too. I’m looking at a fix.

Apologies if you know of these or have already fixed them.

checkbox off colour is not respected. In the attached demo the checkbox should disappear when off (it doesn in version 1).
CheckboxOnOffColour.csd (473 Bytes)

A radiogroup that spans inside and outside of a plant doesn’t work properly. The parts of the radiogroup that are inside or outside of the plant are treated as separate radiogroups.
RadioGroupAcrossAPlant.csd (715 Bytes)

Thanks Iain, and please accept my apologies for this, I know we’ve covered this ground before. Still to many moving parts during development. And I’m struggling with a memory leak at the moment too. It’s a real pain. I know the place it’s leaking but I can’t get JUCE and Csound to come to an amicable agreement on your they sound behave. There is also an issue with gentable that needs fixing. Thankfully cabbage 1 is still chugging away. Somehow!

No need to apologise. I’m just firing these things up when I encounter them before I forget them but I can certainly wait as most of them are pretty trivial compared to the memory leak.

In order to help cabb 2 to improve ,please find the following minor bug report :

• Combobox do not accept closing parenthesis “)” within items names.This prevents following items in the list from being displayed.

Workaround : do not use parenthesis in items.

See snapshots below.

Thanks, I’ll look into a fix for this.

That’s right. I parse identifiers using parenthesis, so when my parser reaches a “)” it thinks the identifier has ended. I will look into it. Square brackets will work, but that’s not really a solution.

Hello,
I use this post for 2 bugs I found (under windows):

• Bug 1
    Do the following :
    use ASIO driver with internal sound card -> Sound OK
    plug a USB sound card and select it to output the sound -> Sound OK
    Quit cabbage, remove USB sound card, reboot
    and start cabbage.
    ASIO is then selected by default but there is no sound.

I had to go to …\appData\roaming… to delete the config file in order to get sound again.
I think Cabbage does not check the presence of sound cards once they are stated in the config file

• Bug2 :Editor when editing
    If a group of widgets is selected and moved around with the arrow keys (not the mouse), the new position ot all the widget is not stored when the file is saved.

hope this helps

Thanks, I’ll look into it.

[edit]

This issue is now fixed.

This issue is also fixed. [quote=“Karamel1, post:30, topic:552”]
I had to go to …\appData\roaming… to delete the config file in order to get sound again.I think Cabbage does not check the presence of sound cards once they are stated in the config file
[/quote]

Your assessment seems correct to me. I’ll take a look. It should move to the default card if it can’t find the last used card listed. I’ll take a look.

Hello Rory,

Another small bug : It seems that combobox do not get updated when loading a snapshot…It works only when the first item is selected.
Hope this helps… looking forward to downloading the next version.
Cheers.

Thanks. I’ll take a look tomorrow. Keep all these bugs coming at me hard! It feels good to fix them now before others have to deal with them.

There is another bug but I cant figure out where it relies.
With a patch turned into a VST, try to load a snapshot : the VST is becoming not responsive. At least this is what I encounter with my drum machine while trying to reload previous configuration.

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

Documentation update proposal for cabbage 2:

• Reference to plants still exists in groupbox page.
  • Plant page says that groupbox and image cannot be nested. This page should be removed or mark as deprecated. Also,it could be useful to state that groupbox can be nested.

Great, I’ll sort that out.