Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Saving presets in Cabbage?

Hi all,
I’ve been testing out some of the synths available in Cabbage (nice stuff btw!) and I see that most of them have no way to save presets.
So rather than modifying each synth to allow preset saving, it occurred to me: would there be a way to create a separate plugin/file that can “save” the current parameters of any running instrument, and that can then be reloaded later? That way, instruments already made don’t need to be modified individually in order to allow preset saving.

(I know that there are other threads here discussing presets, so apologies if I’m mentioning something already in progress…)

brian

I think that could get a bit messy. But most DAWs allow you to save presets for a plugin so you could just use the DAW. Anyhow, considering you need to open an instrument to either run it, or export it, it’s not too much work to simple add this to the code:

combobox bounds(74, 190, 100, 25), populate("*.snaps")
filebutton bounds(12, 190, 60, 25), text("Save"), populate("*.snaps"), mode("snapshot")

BTW, the preset system was still under development when Iain was writing his collection of Cabbage examples. That is why most instruments don’t feature presets.

Hi Rory,
I actually hadn’t thought about the DAW scenario. It would be fine I suppose, if there was no need to share presets with other people. But as DAWs tend to use their own file extensions, it kind of makes it difficult to share with anyone who isn’t using the same DAW.

I’ll try implementing the code you gave, thanks! Does it allow preset loading as well? Where are the presets saved?

brian

Of course, it wouldn’t be much of a preset system if one couldn’t load the presets after saving them! Check out the Presets example in the Examples/Instructional menu.

Hi,
my students are using Cabbage (1.0) in Ableton Live (9.2) on OSX and can’t get Live to recall the settings for the plug-ins so they have to set them manually on open. Can this be because they set the initial values with the range() identifier or is it something with Cabbage in Live?
Best, Andreas

It’s likely the version of Cabbage you are using. Can you try the latest beta package? We fixed an issue with the presets after 1.0 came out.

Oh, great! I will update to the latest installer and report back. But alas, first another 12 exam assignments (incl. Cabbage) needs to be evaluated.

I know all about it!