Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Slugs on Ver. 2.0.27a on OSX [resolved]

TL;DR version:,

• found a solution
  • didn’t didn’t find the cause of the problem
  • propose changing numberbox widget name to numslider

Here we go…

After extensive debugging and hours looking at the screen in disbelief at this issue, I serendipitously discovered that changing the namuberbox identifier in my CabbageWidgetTypes namespace to anything else fixed all the issues @Oeyvind reported.

As for why, I’ve really no idea. I even spent quite a lot of time after this discovery slowing working back to the old state in an attempt to find the real reason for the issues, but nothing appeared. It’s extremely frustrating. Even though I’ve found a solution to the problem I still feel defeated by it!

Having a numberbox widget to doesn’t correspond to a numberbox type kind of unnerves me. So I would like to change all instances of numberbox to numslider throughout the entire code base and documentation. Technically it is a slider, so using the slider moniker isn’t so bad. But it would mean people having to update their instruments to this new widget name. I know it’s a simple search and replace operation, but I understand if people are completely against this change.

I am going to push this change through for the moment so I can pick it up from work tomorrow, but it can be rolled back at any stage. What say you all? In the meantime I will continue to scratch my head in bewilderment.

If the solution is as simple as changing its name then I think that’s a result. Search and replace in old code is easy and the earlier suggestions about adding 1 second delays was starting to sound very hacky. Other possible renames are ‘namumberbox’ as you suggest above ‘numberybox’, ‘boxofnumbers’, ‘nummerkasten’ …

Agreed renaming in old code is a non-issue, and preferred to anything hacky behind the scenes. What’s decided on as a new name isn’t too important to me, tho I like some of Iain’s suggestions that keep the name very close to what it used to be.

I agree too. Search replace is easy.
Maybe number_box would sort this out and help keeping the name?

Agreed. The name change is an ok solution.
For the record, I did not intend the 1 second delay to be any kind of permanent solution (haha, hackish indeed), just a temporary measure to be able to figure out what was happening.

The name could be anything you please, Rory.
To keep in line with rslider and hslider, it could also be nslider

I think I’ll side with Oeyvind on this one and go for nslider!