Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Troubles with the GUI Editor

Hi everyone !

I’m having some serious troubles with the GUI editor, I’m not sure if it’s bugs or just that I don’t use it properly so I’m posting in the Cabbage Stew category : (I searched the forum and can’t find answers)

When editing values of a widget using the menu, the value doesn’t saves in the code, I read on http://cabbageaudio.com/docs/gui_designer/ that to save I should hit the “escape” key, but it doesn’t work, or I’m doing something wrong.

I can’t find options to duplicate, group widget to plans etc…, as the GIF on the doc I linked above show, it seems pretty straightforward but really, when I right click all I can do is delete a widget… I’m obviously missing something here.

I also have this http://forum.cabbageaudio.com/t/gui-editor-freakout/954 issue when I click on a piano widget & then on a rslider with macro, but again maybe I’m doing it wrong

When resizing rotary knobs they always change design, I would love to keep the normal deisgn (with the color halo even if I resize to little widget, not sure I’m explaining it the right way but basically I’m trying to control the look of the knobs but can’t figure how, it’s behaving weirdly and always change aspect.

And finally when I change the size of a widget by a $macro like bounds(6, 398, $rslider_small) the position value doesn’t update anymore in the code when I move this widget in the GUI editor.

That’s a lot of small questions but I would like to know how to use the GUI editor properlyn to save time !
Thanks in advance for your time :slight_smile:

I need to take down that doc as it’s out of date. The latest info on this is here Note some of the functionality of the previous version is missing in this version. For example, grouping widgets into plants is not supported in this version, but can easily be done manually in the code. I might bring thee features back, but for now they are not high priority.

Can you send me the .csd file? There could be some errors in the Cabbage code that is stopping the parser from doing it’s job right.

I know what you mean. Really small rslider's have a different look and feel to the larger ones. This is a throw back to early versions of Cabbage. It’s quite hard to read small rsliders in the regular style, but if enough people are Ok with it I can make the smaller ones look the same.

You may have read in previous threads about this that using macros as parameters is ‘more or less’ supported, but it renders the GUI designer useless for that widget identifier. I plan on fixing this when I get a chance. The list never ends :wink:

1 Like

Alright ! I understand now ! Oh don’t worry ! I don’t make plants because I’m unable to move widget individually if I do !

bug.csd (20.0 KB)
Here it is !
To reproduce the bug : Go in edit mode, move the piano widget, move the volume knob widget (on top left) and you will see lot’s of weird lines coming from nowhere !

Maybe you could add a “dynamiclook” option to knobs ? like dynamiclook(1) make them act like they do already, and dynamiclook(0) force them to stay normal !
This way people have can choose :slight_smile:

Yes I do, haha I know right don’t worry ^^ Cabbage is already a really powerful software, and CSound is really easy to learn, in a week I made something I would have never imagined !!

Oh and while I think about it : Is there a way to make “tabs” in a synth ? because I’m planning on adding lot’s of features to my synth but I’ll be limited on space, and making everything tiny is not really cool :confused:

You shouldn’t use pos() and size() to position widgets in the Cabbage section of your code. pos() and size() are really better set using bounds(). So when i changed the line with the keyboard on it to look like this everything worked fine again.

keyboard bounds(6, 466, 892, 80)

Although they are not often used in the Cabbage section of code, pos() and size() can be used when sending identifier messages from Csound to Cabbage.

1 Like

Thanks ! And sorry for that I don’t even remember putting pos()…
I will make sure there is only bounds()

Slightly off topic, is it still being considered (or maybe even already done, I haven’t tested this in a month or two) to allow the use of pos(x,y) on imported widget groups without a size declaration, allowing them to inherit the widget groups original sizing?

I think we had discussed this briefly in another thread, and I never really checked or asked about it since.

I can’t actually recall if I implemented that yet :joy: I’ll have to take a look.