Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Two instances of the same .csd file at the same time

This is a potential NQR buglet or naturally occurring feature/limitation of the program which might surprise or confuse some users. (v2.0.02 compiled for Debian x86-64.)

If I wanted, for instance, two MultiReverb.csd files running at once, so I could patch them in series or in some other way, I can open one File > Examples, and then open another in the same way. There are now two such files of the same name in the top pane. I can make one or the other play OK.

Looking at the patcher there is only one item “MultiVerb”. There is only one GUI window, with Size, Mix etc. knobs. When I play the left .csd it runs fine. When I play the right one, it stops the left one, reloads the GUI window with its own knob settings, and plays OK. However, I can’t make them both play at the same time, or arrange them separately in the patcher.

If I delete the one “plugin” in the patcher, none remain there. One is reinstated if I play one of the .csd files.

I think it would be a common desire to have two or more instances of a given .csd file (plugin) in the same patch. The next message concerns something which relates to this: any change to the text of the .csd file in the editor causing the file on disk to be written when the Play button is pressed.

Of course you’re right. I’ll try to sort this out asap. Along with the rest of the reports you posted. Thanks for these. These little things often slip under the radar, but must drive new users mad!

This one involves a fair bit of reconstruction. I inadvertently backed myself into a corner in how I implemented it previously. Have a solution, but need a little time to work it in.

I just pushed through some changes to the master branch. It should allow as many instances of an instrument in the graph as one likes. But it needs testing… feel free to build and give it a whirl.

Just built from sources on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), I’ve the following:
Loading two (even three) istances of the same file in the patcher works with te following:

• I needed to launch the builscabbage script as superuser to complete installation (this may be not releted but is the first time I must do this - previous versions installed from/in my home directory as normal user)

• for each istance added the cabbage editor open a new tab

• if i close a “code” tab there is no way to reopen, it should be not a problem unless…

• if i stop an istance with the start/stop button of the tab and i close it I don’t know how to reactivate that istance (but I can delete it in the patcher and add a new one)

• the csd GUI doesen’t have the dimensions declared in the form (see picture attched) the guis should be 950 by 180 but looks more like 400 by 300

• saving the patch, restarting cabbage and opening it shows the same behaviour (closed tabs, wrong size,…)

Stefano

Great. Thanks for testing this. It really needed some!

I think you may be able to build as normal user if you chmod the files in the repo? I think I may have accidentally pushed through some mode changes? Can you try and let me know?

Hi Stefano. I push through some fixes just now. Would you mind rebuilding and testing? My simple tests here passed, but I didn’t have time to really push it…

Unfortunately still problems for me:

• authorization issue: tried some chmod (even chmod -R 777 ~/cabbage-2.0.02 on the entire code directory) but to have it compiled and installed i need to be sudo.
  • window for plugin gui is the correct size but only a portion of it is displayed, the rest is black, small GUIs are displayed correctly (seems that there is a limit somewere)
  • code windows can not be closed and single effects started/stopped (maybe is meant to be so)
  • if i remove an effect from the patcher the code window remain open (see above point)

Thanks. I’ll keep working on it.

[edit] I’ve not had a free moment to look at this yet. It’s exam time here and I’m up to my eyes in correcting. Hopefully I’ll get a chance towards the end of next week at some point.

waiting is not a problem :slight_smile:

Actually, this makes sense, as it now installs to system folders, in line with regular Linux software. Sorry, that’s the reason there. I would like to eventually have a Debian based package installer for Cabbage so I think it’s probably good to start having the local install script put it in places one might expect to find software and libraries.

Should be fixed now.

Not sure I follow. I can close any code editor windows by hitting the red X?

I’m not sure what the expected behaviour should be here. Should we assume that if a user removes the node from the graph that we also close the corresponding source code? Or perhaps a user wishes to remove the node but continue working on the code? I think not closing the source by default is the lesser of two evils?

I’ll try the new version hopefully soon.

I didn’t noticed files where installed system wise, silly me.

Yes the red X, maybe was mine installation

I’m not sure either, so for me the lesser of two evils or the easier path, whichever occurs first.