Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

VST instrument exported from Cabbage causing host to crash

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having some issues exporting the VST for an instrument that uses scanned synthesis. I’m able to export the VST from Cabbage, but as soon as I try to open it in any host (I’ve tried MaxMSP and Cubase so far), the VST causes the host to crash. The .csd compiles properly and works great in Cabbage. I thought the text file that needs to be included for scanned synthesis to work properly might have been the issue, so I tried using CabbageIncludes and making sure that the text file was in the same folder of the directory as the VST, but that didn’t seem to help. Has anyone else ever had a similar problem? I’ve included the .csd and the text file that goes with it below, in case there’s a mistake in my code that I’ve missed.

Thanks!

scanned_pad.csd (5.0 KB)
torus.txt (32 KB)

It’s working fine for me with Bitwig. I did have to make sure the .txt file was in the same directory as both the .vst and the .csd files. What version of Cabbage are you using? I’m using the latest v2 beta. Support for the CabbageIncludes directive is not yet included with this release, but will be eventually added.

Thanks for the help, and for the additional info on CabbageIncludes! I initially tried it with v1. I just downloaded the latest v2 beta and tried exporting the .vst again. Even when all of the files were in the same folder, it still wouldn’t open for me in MaxMSP or Cubase. Other .vsts that I’ve exported have worked just fine, it’s just this one that’s not working for some reason. I’m going to try on a different computer later today to see if it’s just something weird with my machine!

What OS are you running?

I’m running OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I’m going to upgrade in the next week or two anyway, so I’ll see if that fixes the problem.

Can you place the .txt file into the VST bundle alongside the .csd file? Cabbage cannot find the file when it starts. On Linux and WIndows the files need to be in the same directory, on OSX they go into the bundle.

Just tried it, and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help!

Cool. I will update the CabbageInclude stuff when I get a chance. It’s especially useful for OSX users!