Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Whch linux distro for cabbage

Hi all,

I am trying to get cabbage run as smoothly as possible under linux. I just made a fresh install of latest linux mint, compiled Csound from git and cabbage also.

I installed jackd through qjackctl.

For now, cabbage works a little bit but when I pressed to many key on virtual keyboard, Jackd dies and sound hangs.

Could someone point me into the right direction for tuning this or to a distro with a minimum and up to date documention for this ?
Thanks for your help.

The first thing I do when I install any Linux is add the KXStudio repos, and install Cadence, its jack interface. That’s pretty much it in terms of getting sorted with good audio. I don’t use Linux for Youtube or online streaming so I don’t mind if this screws with the default audio drivers. If you want to get other non-jack enabled audio software to work you may need to tweak a little.

I’m using Ubuntu Studio right now with the KXStudio repos enabled and a low-latency kernel. I’m very happy with this setup. I used to have an Alsa loopback device for Youtube, but the Alsa->Pulseaudio->Jack bridge through Cadence works flawlessly for me and so that makes everything easier at the moment.

If Jack is dying on you then you should try to debug that. It’s supposed to be a software prepared for real-time performance. I actually don’t think I’ve seen Jack crash on me with this setup, but I have a friend that has a low-budget notebook with insufficient electrical current available at the USB ports. A hungry audio interface would get intermittently disconnected and that in turn made Jack crash. But that’s a hardware issue.

If you press many keys on your keyboard, do you see something unusual if you ask dmesg?