Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Beginner here "Reading CSD failed... stopping" error

Hello here, I’m relatively new with CSound and also with Cabbage, I was just testing it as I’ll be needing it for school in the near future, cabbage is configured and all the example works flawlessly. However I was testing a basic CSound code snippet and all I get is “Reading CSD failed … stopping”.

ciao1.csd (996 Bytes)

Thank you all in advance for the help and useful pointers. Again I’m a beginner so excuse me if the solution might be obvious.

The file is fine, what’s catching Cabbage out is the fact that Csound stops after 2 seconds. This is because your score statement only tells Csound to run for 2 seconds. I’d recommend using Cabbage to generate a basic file template for you (Options->New->…). It will then generate score statements that will keep your instrument running for a very long time!

p.s. we’re all more than happy to help out any newbies!

Thanks for the fast reply. Anyway I’m still experiencing the same issue. As I select [Option]->[New]->[Instrument] even withouth modifying it I still receive the same message in the end. If I modify them and personalize them i still obtain the same “Reading CSD failed … stopping”. Thinking it might have something to do with privilegies I’m running it as Admin, still the same issue. Example files seems to work with no issues.

For further testing I downloaded the last attachment to this thread (hyperlink on the word thread) and even in this case I have no sound output and if I open the source and go to Save(Update Instrument) I still get the same “Reading CSD failed … stopping”

What operating system and version of Cabbage are you using? It shouldn’t matter what account your are using. Where are you saving the files? Windows is getting a little fussy about where files are saved these days. Best to put them into your Documents folder, although I suspect that’s where they are if you are on Windows.

I am running Win10 (x64) and Cabbage (32bit) v0.5.17 and I was running the files from the Desktop folder, tried to move them to Documents with no change at all. Anyway moving them in a folder in the hard drive root (C:) solved the problem, i am now able to run everything flawlessly. Thank you very much for the help and kindness.

I’m glad they are working now, but I’m also a little concerned as to why you couldn’t run them from your Documents or Desktop folder. I’ve not come across that issue before. It must be a permissions issues. Are you running Cabbage as admin? I mean do you right-click and launch as admin, or is it just that you are an admin user?

Both, running as Admin by right clicking and not (regular) wouldn’t change the outcome and still not allow me to run them from Desktop and/or Documents.

Strange. If you figure it out please report back and let us know what the issue was!

Two of our students reported the same thing as @Nicoderin. I’m trying to debug remotely. I’m wondering if @Nicoderin found the cause of the problem and if it has something to do with Spanish characters in the name of the folders/files.

Snap. I just hit an issue like this today with one of my students. Her name is Ádhamh and somehow this was causing her problems. I’ll look into it. I can’t think straight away why it happens, but at least I have something to do on.

I know this is an old thread, but as it seems the problem wasn´t identified I thought I’d provide an answer to help people who have faced this behavior before, like me. In my case, the cause of the problem was that the folder path was too long. Shortening it solved it.

I thought the new version of Csound no longer has this issue?

I’m sorry, I thought the problem was solved but it’s not. The file was in an unusually long path, not working, and worked when I moved it to the root of my secondary drive (D:). I jumped too quickly to the erroneous conclusion that it was the path length. Sorry for bumping.

I might have found the real cause, at least in my scenario. Noticed that the same file seemed to work when placed inside some folders while not in others. The problem was some folders used this character: ´ . Since I speak spanish I use it a lot. Eliminating that character of the path made it work and introducing it generated the original error message. I tested in several different paths this time. Hope it helps.

Yeah, that’s the same issue as I saw. Csound doesn’t like when you use non-ascii characters in its file names.

Is this a UNICODE issue in CSound? See https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/52

More like this issue: