Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Building on Raspberry Pi

Dear Cabbage farmers,

I’ve been trying to get Cabbage to work on my Raspberry Pi 2.
I’ve installed all the dependecies but I get serious errors, and don’t know how to deal with them. Any advice would be much appreciated!
This is the first error I get, many more like this one follow:

Compiling ComponentLayoutEditor.cpp
cc1plus: error: bad value (native) for -march switch

I’m running Raspbian (not sure which version, not yet fully up to speed with Linux).
Thanks,
RM

PS. Rory, thank you for making CSound so much fun again!

Hi,

What version of g++ do you have? You’ll have to modify the Makefiles.

I’ve found this on the raspberrypi.org forum:

For gcc 4.8 I use
gcc-4.8 -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard

This gave me the best code and was the only option that enabled sdiv/udiv.
To get gcc 4.8 just do
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.8

For gcc 4.6 (the default compiler on rasbian)
gcc -march=armv7-a -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard

For a Pi 1 (B+)
gcc -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard

Best to change the arch flags in the makefiles. I haven’t used Cabbage on a PI myself, but I know someone who is using Cabbage and PI for live music, so it definitely works. Good luck with your Cabbage Pie!

Thanks for the tips! They helped me a lot. I managed to build Cabbage! :smile:
The only problem now is that the UI doesn’t get updated properly. So menus pile up on top of each other. When I load an example the window size will change but it still show the start-up screen. Also I cannot get the source editor to open up.
Any ideas?

I’ll leave a note of what worked to build on Raspbian for reference.
I had to update gcc and g++ to version 4.8
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.8
sudo apt-get install g+±4.8

I then changed the symlinks to gcc and g++ to point to the 4.8 versions, so that the gcc and g++ commands pick the right version.
rm /usr/bin/gcc
rm /usr/bin/g++
ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 /usr/bin/gcc
ln -s /usr/bin/g+±4.8 /usr/bin/g++

Also make sure to have the correct version of CSound installed (the default was 5.x, and 6.0.3 is needed). Building CSound is easy, just follow these instructions:
http://ikenberrypi.tumblr.com/post/90967171834/compiling-csound-6-on-the-raspberry-pi

The last thing is to make sure the VST SDK is at ~/SDKs/vstsdk2.4
I was not able to make it work with any other location, some Juce sources would fail.

I’ve just emailed one of the guys who had it running as part of a live setup. I’ll let you know what he gets back to me with, or perhaps he’ll join the discussion directly.

1 Like

Hi

I am about to TRY to compile Cabbage for Raspberry Pi 3 with Csound 6.08
Can someone give me some caveats before i go down a painful rabbit hole with this?

I have SuperCollider + Pure Data working plus some python audio apps but i would like to bring my csound skills back up from the ancient days So Dr. B recommended cabbage.

Will it work?

I believe people have got it running there before. I’ve built Csound before, that should be fine. Just follow the Linux guidelines and you might get lucky!

I’ve been able to build Csound quite easily on MacOS & Arch. Arch was a bit easier. I have yet to build Cabbage however.

Fun thing about DIY building is you can checkout branches and test new features.

I think it should build relatively easily on RPi. Let us know how it goes. I’m pi-less for the next few weeks so I won’t be able to try it out myself.

Pi-less during Christmas? Sounds like a good present! :slight_smile:

this guy is taxxing my linux64 with 32GB of RAM raspberry would just be masochism

Really? I do most of my testing and development on a 4gb i3 laptop(Linux) and I’ve never been horrified by the performance. I also have access to more powerful machines, but I reckon a RPi might not be the worst :wink: