Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage 1.1.0 (win 64) crash on csd load (fixed)

Just tried the new Cabbage version, and it quits without any error message when I load a csd.
This happens with most csd’s I try to load, for example /Example/Effects/AutopanTremolo.csd

Some of my old csd’s can be opened but most of them crash.
I’ve tried to copy a csd that will open, but when opening the copy, it also crashes. It seems quite random which files will open and which will not.

… and btw. The crash does not happen with the latest CabbageCanonical

Hi Oeyvind!

Can confirm. I have been seeing that behavior since 1.0 actually. CabbageCanonical works 99 out of 100 times when I open one of my synths.

But does it really not produce any kind of error whatsoever? I’m not a Windows user, but when it happened to me on Windows 10 I got “Cabbage has stopped working…”

Cheers.

I was having more issues with the canonical version. I built a new package for Windows that links against my own Csound build and I found it more stable. I will upload later. Right now I’m tentatively trying to upgrade my OSX box to El Capitan. I only have one monitor so I’ll have to wait till this is done before uploading the latest Windows build.

I’ve updated the windows builds. The canonical version is now built with the the latest official Windows release, while the regular build is against my own build of the latest master branch. Hopefully things are better.

This version gives an error about missing csound.dll when starting, and when loading a csd.
It seems however, to load all csds fine.

Which one exactly? The canonical or the self-contained version?

[edit] I’m not seeing this with either package. Can you try removing the install dirs completely before updating? Maybe there is a rogue library lurking somewhere.

This is happens with the self-contained one.
Tried to remove all, also removing Csound completely. All clean, just installing the selv contained Cabbage, and get the same error, …missing csound.dll.
Isn’t it strange that it asks for csound.dll, not csound64.dll?
csound64.dll is there, and it seems to work ok, except for the error dialog popping up every time I load or relaod an instrument…

I’m doing a full clean build of Csound now. I found a csound.dll in my build directory. Odd that I don’t link to it, or include it, but that must be the problem. I’ll update the installer in a moment.

[edit] install is updated. Let me know if everything is Ok this time.

Tested the new version and it avoids the error message on load, but it creates a constant beeping sound (as if the audio buffer is not empty). I have ASIO4ALL as my current audio driver, and figured I’d try to change to DirectSound to see if the beeping is related to the audio driver… but when I change the audio settings (and close the audio settings window) Cabbage crashes. Then it will use ASIO4ALL again next time I start, seemingly it crashes before saving the change in the audio setup.

Ah, a recent change to Csound’s CMake system was messing up my build. I wouldn’t mind but the change was made after some feedback I gave :smile:

Oh to live in a single platform world again! THe following should work fine:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11301894/Cabbage64Setup.exe

A quick test shows no problems so far. Thanks for the update.

I’m going to tentatively mark this as fixed. I’ve been dong a good bit of work with Cabbage on Windows lately and things seem reasonable stable. I do get the odd crash which 99% of the time is down to a problem in my Csound source code. It shouldn’t crash Cabbage, but it does on occasion. I’ll see if I can find the exact route of the problem.