Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage for ESP32-Arduino - create csound-hardware

Hi all, I am totally new with CSOUND. I am playing around with ESP32 (Microcontroller) with Dual Core and up to 240MHz clock, and 2 I2S-Interfaces and 4 MByte RAM. These specs sound like the specs from 2000er PCs but it costs only around 10$ to get it working.
The development is more or less done by using the well known Arduino-IDE and C / C++.
My idea: why not moving some csound-libraries to the Arduino-IDE specially for the ESP32 and using Cabbage to develop the Arduino-Sourcecode. Then, this sourcecode could be compiled by the ARDUINO-IDE and transfered to the ESP32.
Finally You will get a hardware-synth rather than a VST.

This could be a totally new approuch to develop a hardware-synth or a hardware-module for a module-system.
Perhaps the ESP32 is not the best choice but could be a startingpoint for a general discussion.
A Teensy could be a good point to and provides already an audio-library. … but has less cores and a slower clock and a higher price.

Currently I am trying to create a simple Sample-Player with the ESP32

Best Regards
Erich

Sounds like a whole world of pain. Can you not simply install Linux on the board itself, and then build Csound and Cabbage for it?

I’m not so sure. More and more people have been doing just that lately. Check out:

You may also take a look at the Cosmo project:

I’m seeing Csound on more and more devices lately. By all means try this out and let us know. I’m interested to see how well Csound runs on the board.