Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage v2 problem with vst instruments in Cubase

I have used Cabbage 1.1 for some time, mostly to make small vst instruments. It has worked fine in Cubase 9.5.1 on a Mac pro with high sierra. When I try to export vst instr with v 2, latest beta, I get an error. It seems to export ok, the vst is there, I can load it in Cubase, but no sound. Vst:s made with v1.1 works fine. V 2 vst:s works fine in Reaper, so it seems to be a problem associated with Cubase. Any ideas?

Typical that the only host that can’t run them is made by the same people who make the SDK in the first place. Are there any logs that night provide some extra info?

It doesn’t crash Cubase, so I’m not sure how to get a log in a situation like this?

Can you post the .csd file you are testing. Does the GUI get created Ok, or is the plugin simply black?

Sorry for the late reply. I tried to mail you the files, but it didn’t work. Now I try this way. Merry Christmas. The Am1 file is an old one, and it works ok in Cubase. additiv2 is a new one, and it doesn’t work in Cubase. No sound coming out at all. The GUI looks the same on both.
Best regards Martin Flodinadditiv2.csd (823 Bytes)
am1.csd (689 Bytes)

I’ll see if I can download a demo of Cubase and try this out, although I can’t think what might be causing the problem. Leave it with me. I was hoping there was some issue with your .csd file but it looks fine.

Looks like that’s not possible unless I purchase a USB dongle. Can you confirm that am1.csd doesn’t work if exported as a Cabbage 2 vst? Can you try the modified version below and see if Csound prints any information when you launch the plugin. Can you also check the audio IO routing on the plugin track. Maybe Cubase is failing to add the plugin correctly for some reason.
additiv2.csd (856 Bytes)

I’ve been testing Cabbage2 generated plugins in Cubase Pro 9.5 and have been getting the same results as described by @orebronerd so I thought I’d bump this thread. The plugins are read by Cubase, load without a problem, look fine but produce no sound. Older plugins that I suspect were created with Cabbage1 produce sound okay. Any suggestions of what I should try? Fortunately I had an old Steinberg USB dongle so I could test the Cubase demo.

Thanks for looking into this. I’m stumped as to why they might not work. I think I can actually get a trial version of Cubase Elements without the need for a Dongle. I’ll try it out and get back to you. You’re testing on OSX I assume?

Yes, I tested just on OSX but I will check it on Windows also. I have a 30 day trial.

@iainmccurdy I managed to install a free version of Cbuase Elements (after about an hour of needless mouse clicks and installations nonsense). I can’t see what the problem is. The plugin processBlock is being hit. Csound is running. I even tested the samples being produced by Csound. They all look fine. I’ll keep digging. I’ve asked on the JUCE list too as some people reported similar issues there.

@orebronerd, apologies for not spotting I could install a free version Cubase elements without the need of a dongle! Had I seen that option I would have started looking into this a lot sooner.

This should be fixed now. For some reason I have to tell Cubase that 2 channels means Stereo. Most hosts are clever enough to know what 2 channels means. I’m not sure how this will effect multi-channel plugins with channel numbers greater than 2. We’ll see. I pushed through a new release too.

http://cabbageaudio.com/download/

Should there be a link for this Apr 6 beta on this page?
http://cabbageaudio.com/beta/

It’s a release rather than a beta. There were quite a few things building up so I went ahead and made a release. Did you get a chance to try some synth with Cubase?

I beg your pardon. I’ve tested this now with both instruments and effects and all appears to be working fine, thanks. I haven’t tested multi-channel plugins yet.

Bit late for a reply. Been busy with other projects. It seems to be working fine here too. I run Cubase 9.5.2 on osx 10.13.2. Thank you for your great work. I have really missed Cabbage for a while.
Best regards Martin Flodin