Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage vs. Cabbage Studio

Hi Folks,

I’ve downloaded both Cabbage and Cabbage Studio. I’m not clear about why I would use Cabbage as opposed to Cabbage Studio? Cabbage Studio seems to have everything that Cabbage has as well as several additional features. Why would I prefer Cabbage over Cabbage Studio?

Cheers!

Chris

I can’t say for sure. I tend to use Cabbage more often simply because it’s what I’ve also used. But Studio does offer some nice ways of testing larger modular instrument setups. One is really no better or worse than the other. They both use the same code base when it comes to how the plugins are created. I/m not sure too many people actually use Studio?

The two programs seem to overlap quite a bit - what was the thinking behind the development of Cabbage Studio? And if it can do everything that Cabbage can do (and more), I don’t really understand why Cabbage is still being developed.

I wrote Cabbage Studio for my students so that they could explore DSP patching with Csound. Things it does nice are provide quick ways of routing audio through instruments. I originally thought that I would drop Cabbage for Studio, but I think it would annoy many users who already use much more powerful DAWs to host their Cabbage instruments. There is very little of the standalone version of Cabbage still being developed. The part that is most under constant development if the plugin interface which both Cabbage Studio, and the standalone Cabbage host. Every new feature is available to both so it costs me no time in continuing to prepare versions of the standalone player. I keep meaning to use Studio more, but I just find myself using the standalone version more often for some reason!

There is still some functionality that I prefer the standalone over studio version for, for example reloading an active plugin that I have saved changes to in an external editor. It might exist, but if it does I don’t know how to do it without deleting the plugin, reloading it, and reconnecting the IO. Also I often see GUI inconsistencies in the studio version, particularly with dropboxes (tho I am probably slightly behind current, it may have been fixed).

Personally, I prefer the standalone over studio hands down for the initial writing and developing, but am starting to really appreciate studio when it comes time to test and debug. Studio is very handy in being able to patch in sound files to test with, or route the same audio to different versions of the plugins, and test how they react in real time.

It may not apply to everyone, but every cabbage instrument I write is with the intention of exporting it as a vst to be used in a larger DAW system… so the studio is neat but adds a lot of overhead and functionality that I just don’t need 99% of the time.

Just my two cents :smile:

You pretty much summed up my feelings on this exactly! Stdio is handy for some things, but I prefer the simplicity of the original project.