Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Csound crash when using Portaudio

Hi. I’ve been trying to solve an issue regarding Csound and Portaudio with no success. I also think JACK audio server, which is installed on my system, is involved. I searched for other posts on the web from people with the same problem with no success. My understanding of the processes involved is limited, so any help is appreciated.

I’m not using Cabbage but CsounQT. However, I think the issue has to do with Csound, regardless the frontend used. Also, I’m using Windows 10.

In short, the issue consists of Csound closing whenever instructed to run using Portaudio. When using CsoundQT, the frontend closes with no warning or error message. When running via cmd, the last message printed is “reading 256-byte blks of shorts from adc7 (RAW)”; no error announced either but Csound closes (adc7 is replaced by the -adc flag accordingly but, when using the ‘-adc999’ strategy to display devices, it doesn’t work; Csound just prints ‘adc999’ instead)

Some context:

-If the rtaudio module is set to ‘null’, Csound runs fine.

-If trying to set the audio driver via the realtime section CsoundQT’s configuration, the frontend closes when clicking on ADC or DAC if Portaudio is selected.

-I used to have this problem some time ago (JACK was installed). I formated drive c: and reinstalled Windows from the ground. When Csound ran, it worked perfectly. That was until I installed JACK again and the issue returned. I could see that a file “portaudio.dll” was being copied during JACK’s installation, but I don’t know where, nor if it that’s relevant. Sadly, I currently need JACK for work.

Thanks in advance.

Matías

I hadn’t thought of trying Cabbage to see if I had the same problem. Now I did and it works. I’m guessing it’s using Cabbage’s configuration because the -iadc -odac flags have no effect. So I still don’t know what the problem is but I’m glad I can continue working in the meantime.

I’m not sure what the issue is here but maybe you could post an issue on the CsoundQT github page? Always nice to hear that Cabbage works ok :+1:

Thank you for your answer. I’ll try that. I have the feeling that the problem has to do with Csound and not the frontend, though.

I doubt that. Csound is running fine here with portaudio. I expect there may be a conflicting version of the portaudio .dll lurking somewhere in your system. Maybe the system32 folder?

Yes, I agree that there is probably something wrong with portaudio in my system. I meant that I think the problem is caused by the interaction of Csound with my system, and not the frontend with Csound or my system. I will check that folder and see if I can find anything. Thank you.

I’ve had issues myself with portaudio in the past. Some software that uses it places the .dll in system folders, while other software places it into the application folder. It leads to problems when there is a version mismatch. Search the entire system for portaudio dlls. Alternatively, download Dep Walker 64 and run CsoundQT through that. It will show you which dlls are loaded.

Hi. I’ve been busy so couldn’t answer yesterday. I had no luck. Did the search and the only other portaudio dlls are named differently than the one in Csound’s folder (jack_portaudio.dll and and portaudio_x86.dll vs portaudio_x64.dll in Csound’s folder). I also run CsoundQT through Dependency Walker; lot’s of files were missing but none including “portaudio” in it’s name. Maybe the problem is under my nose but my experience is limited. Anyway, I don’t want to take too much of your time, and at least I can use it via Cabbage. Thank you for your help.