Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Gentable and changing tables?

I think this is a feature request, not a bug… as I’m not sure this has ever worked;

But I think there would be a lot of benefit if sending a new tablenumber(x) message over an identchannel to a gentable widget would allow it to change which table it’s displaying. Currently it only forces a refresh of the table that was already loaded.

This would means gentables could be made to display tables dynamically, and the tables wouldn’t have to exist at i-time to be displayed to a widget!

I could send you an example showing this behavior not functioning if you’d like… it’s written using all of my include files, but is pretty straight forward. Essentially tho, it boils down to this:

knum chnget "tablenum"
  if(changed(knum)==1) then
    printk2 knum
    chnset sprintfk("tablenumber(%d)",knum), "graph1"
  endif

You’re right about that. If I’m honest though I must admit I got caught out with this myself recently, thinking that it did, or at least should work.

No need. I’m already aware of it :wink:

I’m very anxious to release the first non-beta version of Cabbage 2 to the general public and raw a line under Cabbage 1. I’ve a few more things to fix, including the issue of CababgeLite and the command line on OSX. When these are done I would like to publish. After that I will create a dev branch for future work. I will then look into the ability to dynamically update tables using the tablenumber() identifier. It would be a nice update.

The way I’ve done this in the past is to just overwrite the table that gentable displays with the new table choice. I have a list of tables from which I choose one, which is then copied (tablecopy) over the table used by gentable. I’ve used this in the HardSyncSynth and others. It’s not terribly complicated to do it this way but maybe you still prefer to send different table numbers to gentable.

That’s a good solution and presents less work for me :wink: But I will look into this regardless as I think it would be a nice way of working with tables

Honestly this limitation is one I ran into a long time ago… and if it weren’t for this, I wouldn’t have started down the path that led to me redrawing dynamic tables on the fly. :smiling_imp: And now I’m really digging what I’ve ended up with.

So it’s not that I can’t work around it. I have, and I’m better for it… but it’d still be nice :slight_smile:

You’re right tho Iain, I worked around this the hard way… your way is simple and more practical for general usage. I’ll give it a shot on my test instrument. Basically I just wanted a util instrument for viewing and testing ftables, potentially a whole lot of them at a time.