Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Install loris for Csound

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to install the loris opcodes for Csound but I am stumbling on the make step.
I downloaded the project folder at this address : http://github.com/tractal/loris
I used the configure script which outputs this

----- Configuration Summary -----
FFTW support: Disabled.
Add something to CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to enable.
See ./configure --help.
Python support: Disabled.
Define PYTHON or add something to CPPFLAGS to enable.
See ./configure --help.
Csound support: Disabled.
Define CSOUND_CONFIG or add something to CPPFLAGS to enable.
See ./configure --help.
----- End Of Configuration -----

I can’t figure out how to enable FFTW support. I don’t know how to use CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.
Also, I wish to enable Csound support.

Did anyone already manage to install Loris? The morphing engine sounds so well…
Maybe there’s an easier way to do this.
I am using Csound 0.9.4.1 (Csound6) and macOs 10.13.2.

1 Like

i built Loris but i am told it’s no longer supported because Kelly Fitz dropped support for csound back in 5

It seems a pity, but I think the Csound devs have their hands pretty full at the moment. The best thing might be to ask the author if he has any interest in offering support for the latest version of Csound. Have you tried any of the other spectral morphing opcodes, perhaps with a bit of experimentation you can achieve similar results?

i asked Kelly Fitz and he said he’s no longer interested in the project.
Jeremy Wentworth and i were going to try to make a VCV rack module from the code [see my other post regarding VCV]

Thank you for your replies.
I will probably try to reinstall Csound 5 to see if it works and let you know about it.

@shreeswifty A VCV rack would be great! Is it still an ongoing project?

Anyway, I can’t find a morphing effect that good. Would you know about something by any chance?

Have you tried this? A lot of the pvs stuff is based on techniques developed in Trevor Wishart’s CDP program. I’ve had nice results with them in the past. But like I said, it may take some experimentation. Feel free to post questions here.

I just tried it. It sounds really good, and by mixing the output with the raw sounds maybe an even better result could be achieved. It seems however that some sounds work better than others, which is perfectly understandable.
I tried to install Csound 5 but I can’t figure out how to compile loris, so I am just letting that down for now.
@rorywalsh Thank you for the tip.