Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

macOS Sierra 10.12 and Cabbage

Just a quick warning that upgrading to Sierra seems to introduce a couple of problems with Cabbage:
Any .csd that uses pop-ups will open with all pop-ups open and you will be unable to close them.
When you first open the Cabbage editor it might appear empty of code. Fiddling with the font settings seems to bring it back.

Wow. The popup thing is a really gem! The font issue might be because OSX has changed some of it’s default fonts and Cabbage can no longer find them. I get very frustrated with the current state of OSX development, or whoops, I mean macOS. Each new update, of which there seems to be an intolerable amount causes some new kind of problems, and rarely seems to fix the long standing ones. http://cdm.link/2016/09/apples-relationship-pro-music-needs-mending/

Well it was pretty foolish allowing my machine to upgrade to Sierra but I must have been feeling pioneering.
I know you’re not a fan of the pop-ups anymore. I will restrict myself to your alternatives a bit more in future.
On the question of GUI widgets that work well in standalone but don’t within plugins, maybe some of these things should be flagged up a bit more. Maybe a pop-up when exporting to VST. For example, numberboxes aren’t going to work in a VST (AFAIK) so it might be helpful for Cabbage to spot these during export and mention it to the user… Maybe they could be replaced by workarounds (or suggestions made).

Number boxes don’t work in VST? Is this known, if so, I’m sorry I missed it. I never knew there was an issue(although you probably told me!). Maybe I should just remove the popup() references in the docs?

Yes, numberboxes and textboxes activated by rsliders can’t be edited when in a plugin. I just tested in AudioMulch but am assuming this is independent of front-end.

Can you send me a quick demo?

If you get HarpFilter.csd, it uses both numberboxes and textbox(1) with sliders.
http://www.iainmccurdy.org/CsoundRealtimeExamples/Cabbage/Effects/HarpFilter.csd

Thanks. I’ll take a look.

I’m just looking into this now. I’ve no problem editing numberboxes or slider textboxes in a plugin, but I do have issues doing it with this particular plugin. In fact, I can’t get it to open at all without crashing my host. I’m not quite sure what the problem is but I can get it to run without crashing by removing some Csound code from the instrument. But I can’t seem to isolate the issue. Can you confirm that it runs for you, apart from the GUI glitch of not being able to edit the number boxes? And can you test a simpler example to see if you can edit the GUI boxes? Cheers.

I checked again with this simpler example. Typing in values into the numberbox or text box of the rslider doesn’t work on Mac but it does on Windows. Seems to be a Mac specific problem…

<Cabbage>
form caption("TypeTest") size(400, 300), pluginID("def1")
numberbox bounds(5,5,70,20), channel("nbox"), range(0,10,1)
rslider bounds(100,5,70,70), channel("rslid"), textbox(1), range(0,10,1)
</Cabbage>
<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-n -d
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

instr 1

endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
;causes Csound to run for about 7000 years...
f 0 z
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

This works on Linux too. Hmmm. I’ll take a look.