Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Mixed questions about CSound, Cabbage, Python, OSC and Blender

Hello everyone.
I have some questions:
I saw on Google there are some attempts to develop a speech synthesiser with CSound, what’s the status? Can it be used with a vocoder?
Can I use Cabbage with Blender 2.49 and Python 2.7, through pyOSC 0.3.5?
Is it possible to turn an audio signal to rough numbers and use it somewhere else? How?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I’ve no idea, I also saw some mention of it on the Csound list, but have no idea where it is at.

Can Csound/Cabbage be used to create a vocoder? Certainly. Check out the vocoder example that comes with Cabbage.

I don’t see why not. Sure. Anything is possible with OSC.

Yup. You can convert any a-rate signal to k-rate and ten send it where you would like using OSC.

Are you familiar with Csound? If not I’d suggest checking out this online resource. There is also a section on OSC there that might be useful. If you need help with any code let us know.

Excuse me, I’m going to be totally off topic in regards to the original question here, but I prefer not to pollute the forum and avoid opening a new thread.
Can I patch synths/effects with cabbage? I’m asking because I had a quick look at the docs, and it’s like I can’t, as I understood I can only design GUIs.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but if not, please, point me to something as simple with which I can.

Csound is used for the synthesis and signal processing part. Cabbage provides a frontend for the Csound engine. Note that it’ a text based system. You can’t drag and drop components as you would with reaktor, max/msp etc.

Thanks for the info, maybe I overlooked Cabbage.
Don’t misinterpret me, I know CSound is very powerful, but I’m somewhat allergic to programming…

I understand, it does take some time to get one’s head around it!