Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

New synth beta : Morpheur

On the more recent build for MacOS it looks fine. Sounds good too!

Thank you @iainmccurdy !
Should you have little time to play with it and design a sound with it… I would be very happy to hear it.
Also, do you see “anything” missing or somthing which could be better implemented ? I am really keen on learning from the master :slight_smile:
Found a bug in the mixing the filtered / non-filtered signal. I just updated the first post of this thread with new version fixing this.

One thing that might prove useful would be loading 3 default sound files on startup. It might prevent some confusion.

Hello Rory,
Indeed that would be great. I’ll try to implement it.
So far, all my trials did not succeed.
If I create a simple instrument called only once at init time i "initFIle" 0 0 which aims at initiating the gSfilePath variables, it indeed loads the 3 files into soundfilers… but afterwards, the preset combobox becomes unresponsive…

All the rest I tried did not work.
I may come to a very simple csd to discuss this further on and find a clean solution.

Sounds like a good idea.

Hello Rory,
it seems that there is something weird with path and \ symbol in last build I made. The console does not show these symbol.

I also attach a simple csd for showing the trouble with combo preset / soundfiler and init phase.

In order to show the trouble :

• change the code to init the string with valid file name to populate the soundfiler in the following instrument

instr InitWav
    chnset “AKWF_0212.wav”,“filenameOscA”
    endin

Start the instrument. It shows the init wav file
then load another file into soundfiler and save the preset, you can make a few preset.

Stop and Quit the instrument.
Restart it, there should be an init file loaded and few preset available.

Try to load one of the preset : the preset are not loaded, only the init file is present.
Maybe I do something wrong but I don’t see what.

cabbage_soundfiler.csd (3.2 KB)

Thanks, I also see the issue. It will be next week before I get a chance to look into this. I would like to know if this actually ever worked? I don’t have time now, but perhaps you could try building an earlier version and see if it ever worked? I fear it may never have actually worked…

Hello Rory,
Do you have any idea the date of the version I should try to rebuild ? I will do it.
Also, I will open a new thread to list bugs as of the last package I built.

I don’t. Do you think this ever worked?

I don’t think so.

In that case you needn’t bother looking back in time :wink: I hope to get a chance to look at this tomorrow.

I can’t figure out why your code doesn’t work. I wonder if Csound is somehow preventing the string channel from updating. The few things I did try have led me to segfaults in the Csound source code. I did find a workaround. I’ve posted the relevant bits below. Be sure to update your file path. Basically what I did was replace the INIT instrument you had, and simply called the “LoadSoundFile” instrument on startup, passing the initial soundfile as a p-field. I also updated the subsequent calls to that instrument whenever event is used.

I’ll have to dig deeper into the reason it’s not working but I think it may have something to do with the fact that all strings in Csound are technically i-rate, which is why one needs to use special opcodes to update them. Otherwise we could just use the assignment operator ‘=’. Somewhere in my head is the answer I think. I just need to spend some time there searching for it :joy:

gSfilepathOscA init ""

instr	LoadSoundFile	; load sound file
SFilePath strcpy p5
    if p4 == 1 then
   ;     Sfile strcpy gSfilepathOscA
        if filevalid(SFilePath) ==1 then
             gitableOscA	ftgen	901,0,0,1,SFilePath,0,0,0		; load sound file into a GEN 01 function table 
             gichansOscA	filenchnls	SFilePath			; derive the number of channels (mono=1,stereo=2) in the sound file
             giReadyOscA 	=	1					; if no string has yet been loaded giReady will be zero
             gkTabLenOscA	init		ftlen(gitableOscA)/gichansOscA		; table length in sample frames         	
             Smessage sprintfk "file(%s)", SFilePath			; print sound file to viewer
             prints Smessage
             prints"\n"
             chnset Smessage, "filerOscA"
        else 
            printks "File no valid \n",0
        endif
    endif
endin

instr 2 
;- Region: Load soundfile 
 if changed:k(chnget:S("filenameOscA"))==1 then 
     gSfilepathOscA	    chnget	"filenameOscA"
 endif 

kNewFileTrg1  changed	gSfilepathOscA	    ; if a new file is loaded generate a trigger
  if kNewFileTrg1 == 1 then		; if user has requested a preset or new file...	
    String  sprintfk {{i "LoadSoundFile" 0 0 1 "%s" }}, gSfilepathOscA
    scoreline String, 1     
  endif
  if changed:k(chnget:k("PresetCombo"))==1 then
    SfilepathOscA	    chnget	"filenameOscA"
    String  sprintfk {{i "LoadSoundFile" 0 0 1 "%s" }}, gSfilepathOscA
    scoreline String, 1  
  endif
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
;causes Csound to run for about 7000 years...
i "LoadSoundFile" 0 0 1 "/home/rory/Desktop/shortSample.wav"
i 2 0.01 z
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

That is indeed a work around !!! :grin: Thank you !
It is difficult to understand. Please tell me if I am wrong.
What is done is to write force loading the soundfile as a score line whenever this is appropriate, exactly as it would happen at the init time… Right or Wrong ?

TLTT (too late to think!)
Hey I just made up a new acronym! All jokes aside, I’ll take a look at this tomorrow and see if I can figure out what’s happening. It certainly has my attention!

In the example I posted I never directly set a string value for the “filenameOscA” channel. Something odd is going on with chnset but I can’t seem to make a minimal example. Time for more digging…

[edit] After some extensive tests it seems that string channels cannot be updated at perf-time using the host API. I’m pretty sure we should be able to do this. I’ve posted an issue on the Csound github repo. Let’s see what they can do.

I think I’ve found the source of this problem. I’ll try to push through a fix tomorrow.

Ohh thank you! Looking forward to seeing it

While I’m at it I’ll see if I look into the MIDI issue.

@rorywalsh @gsenna
Thank you for your efforts helping debugging.
I just uploaded a slightly improved version in the first post. It seems to eat less CPU.Please use this one instead of prevous one.

Thanks to the help of @rorywalsh, @gsenna and @iainmccurdy , I am pleased to announce that

• The Morpheur synth is updated, please see first post of this thread for what is new.
  • and also you will find thereafter a demo of this synth. So enjoy the sounds.

http://forum.cabbageaudio.com:/uploads/default/original/1X/4a34da70e2414af8d004ab45d91e79b77bfcf45b.ogg

About the demo : thanks to Cabbage 2, the Morhpeur synth was exported as VST. I created 6 tracks in Reaper, each of them using a different preset of Morpheur synth. There is no post-production.
Your feedback is more than welcome about the sounds and the synth.