Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

No audio without test tone

I have just installed version 1.1.01 on Windows 7 and I seem to have a problem with the audio output. I have posted the code for the test below.

Until I open Audio Settings and play a test tone I have no sound from the input to the output, and then when I close Audio Settings the sound disappears again.

Thanks for any help

Aaron

form caption("Untitled") size(400, 300), colour(58, 110, 182), pluginID("def1") rslider bounds(296, 162, 100, 100), channel("gain"), range(0, 1, 0, 1, .01), text("Gain"), trackercolour("lime"), outlinecolour(0, 0, 0, 50), textcolour("black") -n -d -+rtmidi=NULL -M0 -m0d ; Initialize the global variables. sr = 44100 ksmps = 32 nchnls = 2 0dbfs = 1

instr 1
kGain chnget “gain”

a1 inch 1
a2 inch 2

outs a1kGain, a2kGain
endin

;causes Csound to run for about 7000 years... f0 z ;starts instrument 1 and runs it for a week i1 0 [60*60*24*7]

It’s hard to know what’s going on here. Can you post a screenshot of your audio settings dialogue?

It’s strange that it is not showing any active input or outputs. Perhaps you need to select them in the ASIO settings. Press the Control Panel button and try to configure it from there perhaps? FWIW, I just check there on Windows, using asio4all, and I had no issues once I select the correct card in the ASIO window.

When I open the control panel the input and output seem to be active.

If I use DirectSound the inputs and outputs are displayed, but I have the same problem with the audio.

Have you turned up the slider in your instrument? It’s set to 0 by default which will mute the output?

I also thought the slider could be the cause, but if I essentially remove it, so that what I have is the code below, I have the same problem.

<Cabbage>
form caption("Untitled") size(400, 300), colour(58, 110, 182), pluginID("def1")
rslider bounds(296, 162, 100, 100), channel("gain"), range(0, 1, 0, 1, .01), text("Gain"), trackercolour("lime"), outlinecolour(0, 0, 0, 50), textcolour("black")

</Cabbage>
<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-n -d -+rtmidi=NULL -M0 -m0d 
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
; Initialize the global variables. 
sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

instr 1
kGain chnget "gain"

a1 inch 1
a2 inch 2

outs a1, a2
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
;causes Csound to run for about 7000 years...
f0 z
;starts instrument 1 and runs it for a week
i1 0 [60*60*24*7] 
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

If you use directsound, but don’t use the UA card does it work? I’m t a loss here. I’ve not seen this issue before. We use ASIO4ALL in all our Windows labs with USB audio devices, and we’ve never had an issue. You could perhaps try the latest pre-release version of Cabbage 2 and see if that help. See can get it here. Not that you need to install the latest version of Csound first. If that works then I’d suggest you just use that. Otherwise we’ll have to do some more digging. I assume you have no issues with audio IO in any of your other audio software?

No problems with other software that I’ve come across. Here’s what I’ve found.

With the 32 bit release of v1.1.05 the code will run as it should, no problems with the sound or the slider that controls the gain when it is written back in. Cabbage will only run once, however, without issue. If I close the the window, the next time I run Cabbage I have the missing MSVCP140D.dll problem already discussed in another thread. Also, if I export a VST plug-in and run it in Ableton Live there is no output.

Did you try the latest version as suggested?

If there is no audio output from a plugin then it has to have something to do with the Csound code. Can you try one of included effects? LoFi for example, and see how it runs.

Problems with audio IO in the standalone version could be caused by a number of issues. But no audio output from a plugin is indicative of a problem with the host, or the Csound code.

I just tried Lofi as a standalone effect in the latest pre-release version and it works. :joy: What I’m wondering, now, though, is will I be able to export plug-ins for the 32 bit version of Ableton Live?

I don’t have a 32bit release for the latest version. I’m also not sure how easy it will be. I can take a look. Lofi doesn’t work with Cabbage 1.n? It should. In fact, the audio IO stuff has not changed that much.

Lofi gives the same result in version 1.1.01 as the test instrument I tried to run - no sound unless I open Audio Settings and play the test tone, and then the sound disappears when I close Audio Settings.

I was afraid you’d say that! And is it the same if you export it as a plugin? I will try to sort out my windows build of Csound and see if I can produce a 32bit version of the new cabbage for you. Btw, if you own 32bit live, can you not download the same version as 64bit for free?

I didn’t realize it but it looks like I have access to the 64 bit version of Live as well. The 32 bit version is preferable in a way though because I am able to seamlessly use other plug-ins I have that are only 32 bit.

I’ll have a check later and see if I can run Lofi in the 64 bit version.

I finally got around to check on this and found I am able to run LoFi in the 64 bit version.

Just now I also tried the 32 bit installer. Cabbage seems to install fine, but when I try to run LoFi Cabbage crashes. Also, parts in the display seem to be duplicated in a strange way.

That 32bit installer is for the older version of Cabbage. Something definitely seems odd with the graphics though. Can you view the Csound output and let me know what it says? You can simply open the editor to see what Csound is reporting. Oh and also make sure that the correct audio settings are enabled.

I also checked and both of the files that the output refers to are in the Cabbage32 folder.