Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Pre-release Cabbage 2 for testing - part 1

Thanks Iain. I’ll take a look. The simplest way to make the g’s appear would be to make the checkbox longer, but I’ll take a look. One thing you might notice is the slight change in dimensions of certain widgets. I’ve tried to make each widget fill its bounds completely in this version. Many people had asked in the past why a slider set to size 100 x 100 was actually 96 x 96. It caused a lot of confusion when it came to placing widgets around. So I took the decision to try to make them all the same sizes as their bounds. I hope it doesn’t mess things up too much. It shouldn’t, it’s only really a pixel here or there!

I’m a little late to the game here, and think both yourself and Iain have addressed the vast majority of issues I’ve encountered anyway…

On my MacBook scrolling is strange also. Scrolling up is slow, but works one line at a time. When scrolling down (continuously with two fingers), the text sort of jumps back up a line or two before scrolling down again. If I go to scroll as I usually would in a text editor or browser, i.e. by repeatedly and quickly “flinging” text with two fingers on the trackpad, the code just sort of jumps around and largely ends up where you began.

Think I experienced this on earlier versions but tried various combinations of trackpad scroll inversion and scroll inertia settings to try remedy, but got the same up/down action - i mostly stick to the scroll bar when using trackpad (though the dark scroll bar can be difficult to see). Highlighting in the debug console is a very dark blue and near impossible to read against the black background also.

When using search (cmd + f) in the editor, I can’t jump between results using the prev/next arrows - only by pressing enter. Also, search is case-sensitive only, regardless of the checkbox state.

The edit buttons on the toolbar (cut, copy, paste) don’t have any effect. Mouse-over or icon text might be nice too.

In instrument/effect edit mode, the context menu’s only option is “Delete” when right clicking anything - which has no effect. The menu collapses sometimes too, as do the menus on the main editor GUI and some instrument comboboxes.

The edit mode inspector, with all collapsible menus expanded, will not allow scrolling of all parameters - cutting off shortly before I reach the end. Also, is it possible to have the inspector remember which parameters are shown/hidden via the drop-down arrows upon switching between parameters?

The keyboard colors keep reverting to their default values on saving, even though the code remains in the editor.

Is it possible to have rslider knobs display both tracker and text simultaneously? And even the knob indicator notch too (from value box/text display)?

The value box’s size doesn’t scale properly with rsliders/vsliders when clicking and dragging, in that after a certain size only the length seems to increase. Also, is it possible for a value to round up/down and display to one or two decimal places for example? They seem to opt for “…” rather than displaying a longer value and as a result, gives lower resolution feedback (i.e. “0…” as opposed to “0.75” for a value of “0.7532”). When using value boxes, popup text doesn’t display also.

The knob rotation parameter seems to return to default upon saving, even though the code is saved in the compiled instrument. I couldn’t get the images parameter (thumb/bg) to work at all, though I can’t remember what image format I was feeding them. Any specified file paths disappear from the form after saving.

Identchannel knob parameters seem to be lacking a lot of the options available to standard rsliders with regards to design/customisation. Is that due to implementing identchannel?

And that’s it! Will have to check the latest revision but seeing lots of great features in action. I’m sure there’s lots more in the pipeline too, so you can probably ignore a lot of my nitpicking!

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

I’ve only commented on the issues I need clarification on. The rest make sense to me.

Fixed in the latest version. [quote=“DeadAir, post:22, topic:408”]
Is it possible to have rslider knobs display both tracker and text simultaneously? And even the knob indicator notch too (from value box/text display)?
[/quote]

Not sure I follow? When you say tracker what are you referring to exactly?

The popup values should display the full resolution of the number. I can fix that. With the value box it’s tricky as we only have a set amount of space. I’ll take a look and see if I can work out some kind of way of doing it.

By knob you mean rslider? All parameters should be modifiable through the use of identchannel(). It might be that you are trying to use several chnset’s in a single k-cycle. For example if you try:

chnset "colour(100, 100, 0)", "sliderident"
chnset "bounds(10, 10, 500, 500)", "sliderident"

it won’t work, because the second called to chnset will overwrite the first one. You need to concat your string messages, or pass them as one:

chnset "colour(100, 100, 0), bounds(10, 10, 500, 500)", "sliderident"

In general all of the cosmetic parameters of a widget can be modified, but the one related to the widgets deeper function can’t. For example, one can’t change the range during run time as it would not be translatable to a host DAW. Certain things are only queried on start up and can’t be changed afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll post back here once I have all of this sorted.

Is there a way to test cabbage 2 on linux?

yes please. This is the git repo I’m using until it’s safe to overwrite the older one:

If you’'re having any difficult build maybe you could post to the Cabbage farmers section. It would be nice to keep this thread strictly to issues with the system, rather than building is. But please go ahead and try. The more people testing the better.

Not exactly reversed, but not right either. Fixed now though, but I’ll hold off updating the binaries until I work through the rest of the issues.

Macro issue. Ha, that makes me sounds like John :wink: The thing is that Cabbage doesn’t need the # symbols. Putting them into there messes up my macro algorithm. I can do what I did in the previous version and remove all #'s from the line with the macro on it but that would mess up text() identifiers that might have a # in them? What do you think?

[EDIT] False alarm.My parsing code is Ok, apart from the fact that it didn’t like tabs between a define and a macro name. Fixed now.

Hi Rory,
is the Cabbage2 test version not yet available for Windows 64?
thanks!

It is, well, the standalone editor only for now. I’ll post a link later on today. I’ve built the plugins, and they work, but I’m holding off releasing betas until we iron out some pressing issues.

Great! thanks

There’s a version for you to try there now. It’ll extract as Cabbage.exe, so you can just dump it into your Cabbage64 folder. It won’t conflict with Cabbage64.exe. Please take a look over the issues filed by others before listing your own. Otherwise this thread will get out of control!! And remember, this is very early alpha!

@iainmccurdy, @DeadAir, would you mind trying this JUCE demo app for me and seeing if the scrolling problem is present there too. After you open it, navigate to the Code Editor demo. Then try to open a fairly large .cpp file, if you don’t have any just download this and try to open it.

I’m hoping it’s a problem with the JUCE library. That way I can leave it to those guys to fix.

The editor in this doesn’t exhibit the scrolling-in-the-wrong-direction issue that the Cabbage editor does.
It’s still a bit jerky, certainly in comparison to Sublime, which is silky smooth. Maybe all of this seems like nit-picking but I do tend to lose my place a lot in long .csds in the Cabbage editor.

I totally understand. It would drive me bananas. But I don’t think I’ll be able to get it any better than what’s available through the JUCE demo. The real issue of course is not having access to a macbook to test on. How about the scrollbars on the side of the Cabbage editor, do they also misbehave?

Hey Rory, I checked out the repo as linked above, ran the Linux Makefile, all is good until the link stage :

…/…/Source/LookAndFeel/CabbageLookAndFeel.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void
MakePluginSynth:200: recipe for target ‘build/intermediate/Release/CabbageLookAndFeel_85188477.o’ failed
make: *** [build/intermediate/Release/CabbageLookAndFeel_85188477.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

Just letting you know. :slight_smile: Building on Fedora 21, x86_64.

Can you try again? With master branch…

Hey Rory, thanks for looking at the issue. Almost there now :

Linking CabbagePluginEffect

make: *** [build/CabbagePluginEffect.so] Error 1

Same error for CabbagePluginSynth.

Best,

dp

Ah yes, I may have to rework the plugin makefiles. For now we’re concentrating on the standalone editor. Once that’s passing tests we’ll move on to the plugin wrappers :wink:

@iainmccurdy, @DeadAir, I had a chance to try out the scrolling on a student’s laptop. I see the issue now. Can you try the latest binary from the link above and let me know if it’s any better? Cheers.

p.s. In case your wondering, I had posted another message earlier on this topic, but I removed it after I got a chance to see first hand the problem.

Cool, no problem. Btw, I’ve built and run the standalone but I’ve done no heavy tests yet, just running some examples. Cabbage 2 looking good ! :slight_smile:

Hello , I’ve found the following (ubuntu 14.04, csound 6.08 from sources and cabbage2 just downloaded and compiled from master branch):

• rotate() attribute doesn’t work
  • gentable doesn’t display the wave
  • If I open a file, play it, than open another file to play it, the first file is played (gui displayed). Seems to play the first opened file
  • this is my build report, there are some errors: Buildreport170201.txt (10.3 KB)

One question, is there a “view csound output” somewhere?
Ciao