Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Quadriphonic Cabbage (fixed)

Hi all,

I’m making an instrument to control the sound spatialization between 4 loudspeaker for my composition 2 exam, but I can’t select all the 4 outputs in the audio settings “active audio output”. I can choose Output 1+2 or Output 3+4 but not both.

How can I fix it? :sweat_smile:

The standalone player only supports 2 outputs at a time. I don’t have a multichannel sound card to test for more than 2 :frowning:

But I can prepare a multichannel plugin for you. In this case you would export your instrument as a plugin, and then set it up to output to your four speakers inside a DAW of your choice. What platform are you on?

Maybe having an option in the Output to bypass JUCE’s sound control could be a good thing to have in the future. I mean, Csound already has working output modules with -odac.

It would be fantastic, I was reading now that @Maston had the same problem using 16 outputs! Could I use the same plugin? I’m working on my macbook pro El Capitan 10.11.6

Exactly. Follow the same instructions and don’t forget to change your nchnls

Let us know if it works.

ok, I did it, but I’ve a problem…This plugin is created to control the position of the sound between the four loudspeakers in real time, but if I load it into Audition or Ableton you can choose only 1 or 2, but not quadriphonic outputs… what I’m doing wrong?

I’m not much of a Live guy, so I’m not sure I can be much help. I can try myself a little later on if I get a chance. Do you need to use Live? I find routing in Reaper much more straightforward, but I’m sure it can be done with Live too?

Me too, I use Live only to use Cabbage plugins live. And yes, unfortunately I had to control the spatialization using the plugin live following a score…ther’s no possibilities to use something like -odac as gsenna was suggesting? Because I find Cabbage standalone handier and powerful.
This is my csd, but open it only when you have time, I’ve to weeks before the exam…many thanks for your suggestions! :grin: Panning_05.csd (1.8 KB)

@gsenna makes a good point. And I did have this feature before. But it became a problem to maintain. Don’t worry, we’ll get something sorted out before the exam no matter what happens!!

I’ll take a look later at how to get this going, but it’s going to be tricky without a multi-out sound card.

p.s. I may have sourced a card. That’s the first step to fixing this!

I’ve checked with Reaper and I can output to four different speakers using a 4-channel Cabbage file. But your .csd file is not behaving correctly. It only sends output to 2. For some reason 2 tracks carry no signal?

That’s strange because I’ve used only space opcode to distribute the signal among the 4 channels using x/y coordinates and outq to send the signal to the outputs.

a1, a2, a3, a4 space asig1+asig2, 0, 0, 0, kXvalue, kYvalue

outq a1*kGain, a2*kGain, a3*kGain, a4*kGain

if I choose a1, a2, a3, a4 separately it works and I can listen the sound from the different x-y coordinates (in Cabbage standalone)

out a1*kGain

That is weird. If I do something like

out aIn1, aIn2, aIn1, aIn2

I get audio output to all four channels. Anyhow, I’m looking at the standalone player at the moment. Maybe we’re lucky and I find a fix before they throw me out of my office!

Can you try this version of Cabbage?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11301894/MultiCabbageOSXUniversal.pkg
It should allow you to use the standalone player in multichannel mode. It works for me here, but I only did a few simple tests. Let me know. I think it might be a solution that I can use across all platforms, but it needs testing first.

1 Like

I’ll do it now and I let you know! :grinning:

Amazing, it works great! The best forum ever…
Thank you again and have a nice weekend!

At the end of my paper :slight_smile:
“Acknowledgements. A special thanks to Rory Walsh who release a quadriphonic version of Cabbage making possible the realization of this plugin.”

1 Like

Nice :wink: