Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Some AU / build / distro questions

Hey Rory,

I have just a few quick questions…

Going through the docs here and I see that AU export is still in beta, yes? How exactly do I export an AU? I only see a VST option in the latest beta build for OSX.

I also saw the disclaimer about the AU not saving plugin settings and the user needing to manually load the .csd the first time. Do you have a timeframe for when this will be solved?

The docs say that a .txt file will be exported with the .vst - however only the .vst is exported by itself. Has this changed? Or is it referencing the original .csd?

And one last question :blush: - how do you recommend distributing Csound with the installer for OSX? We have experience building our own installers but we have never had to bundle external code. We are using packagemaker on OSX but I am confused about how to include Csound.

BTW - our test product is coming out very nice! I can’t thank you enough for all the hard work you’ve put into Cabbage.

There is no option for the current beta because I haven’t got around to adding it yet. Sorry about that. It will probably be a month or two before I get a chance to look into it again.

I really don’t because I could never find a working solution. I spent quite a lot of time with this in the past and I got really frustrated by the whole thing. My frustration was born out of a very slow development machine, and differences between the AU and VST specs. I will revisit it soon though as I’m very anxious to have Cabbage available to users of Logic.

A copy of the current .csd when exporting it embedded into the .vst bundle. On Windows a copy of the current .csd file when exporting is placed into the same directory as the .dll. it’s important that the dll can read the .csd file from the same dir. Things a neater on OSX because it will always be in the right place, i.e, within the bundle. Note that if you wish to bundle 3rd party files with your VSTs use the bundle() identifier.

All you have to do is make sure the Csound64Lib.framework (I think that’s what it’s called, not on OSX right now) gets placed into /Library/Frameworks, that’s the system Library folder, not ~/Library. if it’s there Cabbage should work just fine. I uses packages on OSX, which is now open source. it lets me select payloads from disk which it then installs to the same location on the users machine.

Hey that looks sweet! I’m delighted you guys are using Cabbage now :wink: I thought you guys only did bundles? Are you now producing synths too? And thank you very much for the donation. it’s always appreciated!

Thanks - that info helps clarify things. I figured out the OSX installer and the csound framework dependency.

Well, yes… a good portion of our customers are Logic users so looking forward to getting the AU support!

No problem with the donation. Hopefully, if we pursue this direction and it turns out to be lucrative, we can siphon off contributions regularly.

Is there a way to change the VST developer from “cabbage” to “developerxyz”? I see that one can probably edit the plist in OSX but is there a way to define this within Cabbage?

Thanks!

There is currently no way to do this in Cabbage without rebuilding from source. Keep in mind also that the .csd that you create will be accessible to anyone who uses your plugin. This might not suit if you wish to produce commercial products. If you would rather hide the .csd from the end user I would need to develop a slightly modified version of Cabbage. If you need this PM me and we can discuss it.