Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

64 ins/outs on plugins by default

I mean when I press a :arrow_forward: button on instrument’s tab in cabbage. It then appears as instrument in jackd interfaces.

You shouldn’t really view the Cabbage IDE as a performance environment in itself. It’s a development environment for plugins. I just tested Reaper on Linux with that Cabbage example running as a plugin. Reaper shows 1.2% in Jack and when the session is start it shows a minuscule 0.1% increase in CPU.
It sounds like CsoundQT might be a better fit if you are not planning to develop instrument that can run outside of Cabbage?

On the other hand there is an export as standalone, which is not currently supported in Linux. I’m going to add this now. It will give you the option of running your instruments as standalone applications. The overhead there should be much less that in the Cabbage IDE. I’ll let you know when this is ready…

I just pushed that change now. Here is jack running idle on my Ubuntu machine:

And here is running BIAB as a standalone application:

Note that I had to set jack to run ksmps sized buffer to get it to run more efficiently. When you export as a standalone app it will generate an app binary and a .csd file of the same name. They need to be beside each other at all times or the standalone won’t be able to open it. Also, you may have to chmod the standalone to get it to run. I’m still surprised that it uses this much CPU in comparison to Reaper but I’m not sure what can be done about that.

Interesting… here is mine as vst so far. will try latestbuild bit later.
without

with

might it be related to kernel somehow. Or may be there are some build settings that I should set?

Oh, so you’re getting that spike when loading the plugins in Ardour? Hmm. That’s odd. I can try myself later and see how it goes.

I’m afraid I didn’t get around to testing this, but I see that Jack is running with buffer size of 1024. I saw increased CPU load when I had Jack running at this buffer size. I got the best performance when it was the same size as the buffers (ksmps) in the .csd file. But in this case we have a host involved so I don’t expect that to make much of a difference. Does Ardour default to using the same size buffers as Jack?

I’ll try to get a look at this in the coming days :+1: