Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Adding widgets from right click menu generates code in the wrong spot, editing attribute sometimes adds repeating fontcolor(xxx)

I just opened my file, toggled the GUI edit button, right clicked and added a signaldisplay, and the code was generated, but in a very strange spot. The signaldisplay bounds(xywh) was added at the bottom of my block of code where it should be, but the other parameters were added to the top comment line above the GUI block, and when I adjusted the position and size with the WYSIWYG mouse drag editing, it duplicated the top comment line of my header and added an additional line of signaldisplay bounds(xywh) at the bottom instead of replacing the one that was there and also duplicated the other parameter settings into a copy of the second comment header line. see this image:

at the top of the file:
;By alpha(0) surrogatelinenumber(0) visible(0) active(0) bounds(0, 0, 0, 0) ;By Nicholas C. Raftis III 2018, based on TemposcalFilePlayer.csd by Iain McCurdy, 2014. active(0) alpha(0) surrogatelinenumber(0) visible(0) ;By Nicholas C. Raftis III 2018, based on TemposcalFilePlayer.csd by Iain McCurdy, 2014.

at the bottom of the correct <Cabbage> gui region, right above the </Cabbage>

signaldisplay bounds(302, 88, 260, 100)

signaldisplay bounds(446, 129, 260, 100)

here is a video of the default effects project adding a singaldisplay :


Signal Display WYSIWYG GUI edit bug

I also noticed that I have been getting some lines in my GUI with repeated fontcolor(xxx)xxx) without commas between… there have been a few times that there would be 10+ copies of this.

I figured maybe I would use this thread to gather any other issues I noticed with the WYSIWYG editor generating incorrect code.

I’m having the same issue… For the moment I try not to use the GUI editor and it seems to work better, but sometimes it’s not so convenient…

Yeah, exactly. I have been doing some of it manually, but one of the things that brought me in to cabbage in the first place was the elegance of a WYSIWYG GUI editor with attributes (much like my long beloved MAX/MSP).

Connecting that with blocks of DSP code using all the amazing high quality C sound opcodes is kindof a dream environment for this, I think it just needs a few more active driven testers like myself to properly report issues like this.

I see big things in the cabbage future :wink:

1 Like

good point :wink: Btw, I’ve never been able to use the attribute menu, my settings never save to the code :confused:

Yeah, the way it works is really great, and it has enormous capabilities ! I’m doing the same as you when I spot bugs !

Thanks guys, I’ll take a look. I often think I shot myself in the foot by trying to accommodate both code and drag and drop WYSIWYG editing. When it works it’s pretty cool. When it doesn’t it sucks.

What would be really useful would be a complete set of steps needed to emulate your problems. If I can recreate then I can fix them.

@T0NIT0RMX do you hit enter after you edit an attribute in the property field? And do colours update in the code when you bring up the color choosers?

2 Likes

@rorywalsh oops… I haven’t tried since I corrected the bug of the wrong audio sr, and now it works flawlessly ! Thanks & sorry :confused:

@T0NIT0RMX what do you mean by “corrected the bug of the wrong audio sr”? (where sr = sample rate I assume). What was the bug and did it affect the attributes/wysiwyg GUI editing?

@rorywalsh Indeed I usually do my best to document steps to reproduce, in this case I posted that video clip which I thought might be better, but if you need I could type out the same things I documented in the video.
Signal Display WYSIWYG GUI edit bug

Oh sorry I forgot to link the topic : [FIXED] GUI example does not work in Cabbage 2.0.02

Here I explain the problem, the wrong Sr broke lots of functions through Cabbage, but Rory and I don’t know why :confused:

@MacroMachines yes, the video is plenty to go by. I’ll see if I can reproduce the problem here.

[edit] when looking at this on my phone I didn’t actually hear that you literally talk us through the issue. This couldn’t be any clearer, and I can reproduce the problem here. Btw, I’m not sure if you know, but there is a little option in the settings window to keep plugin windows on top so they don’t keep disappearing behind things…

I have the checkbox for on top set, it may appear in the video that the window is disappearing behind, but its actually resetting to the main laptop screen which is below and to the left of my HDTV that I use as my working screen… so anytime I clicked edit or save it would re-instantiate the window on the other monitor. Not a big deal when I am working, but when I rewatched the video just now again I had to drag it back to the recorded area every time hehehe.:unamused:

This is fixed now. I’ll post a link to a new beta once it’s cooked.

You can grab new betas from the links posted here