Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage and Protools

Nick Martins at Berklee asked me recently about building an AAX version of Cabbage. I thought I would have to jump through some silly Avid hoops in order to get the SDK but it seems they have stopped being arses about it and just let people register to download it. So I now have the SDK :wink:

I set up a new git branch called aax_dev that now houses a very experimental, and completely untested build for AAX. It’s building fine, but I’ve no way of testing it. So, I need some help from anyone who has Protools 10 or higher installed. I’ve zipped the plugin, which is an effect only for now and dropboxed it to here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11301894/AAXEffectTest.zip
Before trying it out:

• Place the aaxplugin file into your Library/Audio folder along with the rest of your aax plugins (I’ve no idea where they live, but they gotta be in there somewhere!)
  • Place the CabbageAudioUnit folder (don’t worry about the name for now, I will change it if it works) into your ~/Music folder. The aaxplugin will need to be able to load the Csound files contained within.

After this you should be good to go. As I’ve said, I’ve no idea if it will work. I really hope it does something, because debugging this without protools is not going to be easy!!

According to Avid, the folders where AAX resides are the following:

Pro Tools 10 adds AAX format plug-ins (in addition to TDM & RTAS) so you will have 2 folders located here:

Mac
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins (AAX)
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins (TDM & RTAS)

Windows
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins (AAX)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins (TDM & RTAS)

Now, I have just installed everything. When lauching Pro Tools, Cabbage fails to load because “…not a valid 64bit AAX plugin”.

Okay, I am up to help you debug. According to Avid, every AAX plugin should be 64bit right? Something did not work (I hope it’s not AAX’s SDK identifying the use of open source software and just breaking it).

I don’t think any SDK is that smart! It’s probably just a build setting in my Xcode project. Let me take a look.

[edit] I’ve just uploaded a new build. Can you try it out and let me know?

This is supposedly a common issue, and the answer can be found on the Avid developer forum. But only those who are registered developers can view that particular forum. Although Avid now let anyone download the AAX SDK, it seems they only provide forum access to those whom they deem worthy. I think we’re at an impasse here. Unless someone else can offer any insight? The Juce forum has one post that seems to describe the same issue:

But the answers are not very helpful…

Did AAX ever work?

Long time ProTools user. Currently, I’m using a wrapper to get my cabbage VSTs into ProTools 12. Love to skip the wrapper, if possible.

Matt

I’m afraid not. I don’t have a license for ProTools, hence I could never test it myself. But those who did didn’t have much luck.