Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage closes when Josep Comajuncosas B6 instrument is run

The B6 is an emulation of an early Hammond tonewheel organ, a B3 I think.
I’ve successfully run the instrument in Gabriel Maldonado’s realtime version of Csound.
There is a sophisticated widget that accompanies the instrument. I couldn’t find a ‘Widget’ button but the Cabbage keyboard program runs well.
I read Cabbage specific headers ate required so I added one. No change.
Not all the examples that come with Cabbage will run. This causes me to suspect the installation is incomplete or corrupt.
The clip distortion example has a widget but no keyboard, hence, does not run. The selectable inputs do not work either.
The pdclip distortion works when I select ‘sine’ input.
Some of the examples do not have selectable inputs. These are the ones that fail.
Neither the Leslie nor the Flanger works, regardless of selected input.
Any suggestions?
I thought I may have needed to connect a midi keyboard but selectable inputs negates the necessity.

All those examples work fine, but they are audio effects so, they depend on real time input from a microphone. They are not synths, hence there are no need for keyboards.

I’ve no familiarity with the B6 instrument you refer to but can you test it from the command line with the current version of Csound. Note that you can’t mix Csound’s FLTK widgets with Cabbage as it leads to GUI problems.

Finally, I think the installation is OK. If there was a problem none of the examples would work for you :+1:

In the meantime, you might like to try this Cabbage-specific Hammond B3 clone:

Thanks. The gui conflicts were one of my latent hunches.

Regarding the examples’ playability, the Lesli ‘setup’ button does not work, but I did not hoookup a keyboard.
I took for granted, all examples that can be used with MIDImetadata would have the internal keyboard as an alternative controller. Was I wrong? I’ll go again with a MIDI keyboard connected.
I tried running the B6.csd from the command line, but got the usual text readout.
One thing, though. There was an error message:
“WARNING: could not open library ‘C:\Programs Dump\Csound6_x64\plugins64\py.dll’ (-1)”
I thought an error may have occurred when I installed Csound in a non-standard directory.
I think my primary goal, now, is getting all the old examples from Mikelson, Comajuncosas, Pinkston, and others, that worked in older versions, including Maldonado’s CsoundAV, to work in the current version. That depends, I think, on finding a workable front end. I thought QT was the best choice. I can still get Maldonado’s version up and running with a minor change in the boot switches, but think an update would be better. Granted, I was using these instruments in 2001 and earlier, but I still think they are viable, especially from performance, and academic points of view.
Thanks again

Which example is this?

As each example can be run as a plugin, all parameters can potentially be mapped to MIDI data, but you will need to do this yourself. It would be a little annoying if MIDI mapping was hard coded to certain channels as it might break DAW sessions. Cabbage does not have a MIDI learn feature. If you wish to avail of something like this it’s best to use a fully featured host like Reaper or Live.

This is most likely caused by you not have Python 2.7 installed. It’s just a warning though, and shouldn’t prevent the example from playing. If you remove the py.dll file from your Csound plugins directory it will remove that warning. Or you can simply rename it.

The basic Csound code should run fine. Any kind of GUIs will need rewriting. CsoundQT might well be best choice. It is first and foremost a Csound frontend. Cabbage was written from a different angle, i.e., to allow users to use Csound in DAWs.

I agree, they are still absolutely viable. It would be great to have them updated for use with Cabbage, which in turn would make them available to any musician capable of loading a plugin in a DAW, regardless of whether or not they know anything about Csound.