Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage is awesome :) aka how to make it work with LMMS

GPL . really ??? not even MIT … I stand corrected , that changes everything. I was not aware of that. Well if its GPL based even partly that is more than worthy for my trust.

I dont close the door to the idea of embeding CSOUND for LMMS will keep an eye because I am very interested in working with CSOUND at C++ level too even outside LMMS. I dont doubt that it may work on Windows, thats the nice thing about Windows is hands down the most dev friendly platform. No coincidence that it dominated software for so many decades.

Will take also a more careful look to JUCE you peaked my interest. A lot to learn :smiley:

Yeah, it’s gpl, but if course you can also buy a commerical license. So it’s dual licensed. But yeah, the GPL license has always been good enough for me.

1 Like

I was just browsing Csound journal archives and found out article about LADSPA interface for Csound Rory mentioned few post earlier. See http://csoundjournal.com/issue6/csLADSPA.html

Yeah, it’s a little dated now but did the trick in its day :wink:

thank you , added to my reading list. LADSPA seems like a potential solution. There is also LVL2 that LMMS currently tries to implement , plus I have to investigate further why I cannot link to CSOUND. The more I learn the better.

OMG :heart_eyes: I love lmms project.
Have you tried csound-wasm: Simplified API for Csound’s Webassembly? https://github.com/hlolli/csound-wasm
I will use it in my courses this semester.
Regards!
Julio Benavides

Oh sorry, I thought Lmm was for a web platform like BandLab.
If Lmm supports vst I don’t see any problem loading CSD and editing it …

I try to stay as far away from web technologies as possible they tend to be slow, buggy and huge memory hogs like all browsers. Plus web dev is a mess of fragmentation and terrible bad design decisions. Can’t say I am a fan of Javascript either.

Also I fail to see how this is related to LMMS , LMMS does not use any web technology AFAIK apart from XML files. Are you saying it from the point of you of simplicity.

Personally I love complexity, I tend to rely heavily on complex features so I try to stay away from simplified APIs unless I am doing something really simple

PS: LOL we replied at the same time, I see now you mixed things up , yes indeed LMMS is a desktop app https://lmms.io/

Using Vestige I can load this synth created by my student Alvaro.
I can edit with cabbage or with a simple text editor open the csd
very nice daw…

1 Like

I assume you are using windows from the screenshot, Windows version works fine, its the Linux version that has the issues

That’s funny right? The Windows version of Linux Multimedia Studio works better than the Linux version :rofl:

1 Like

well to LMMS defense, Linux is with all sort of problems but yeah its very much ironic
for those that do not know LMMS stands for Linux Music Making System

Actually, I have to say, that I’ve not any issues with LMMS on either platform…

Btw @F7h, I find the csound-wasm build super cool. I’m using it a lot with JS game engines and graphical tools. I too use it with my student all the time. Avoiding the need to install anything is a real plus for me.

1 Like

Hey Kilon,

I think you’re on gearslutz (I’m systematika I see you around in the EM forums) but anyway…

Yeah, MOTU stuff sucks under linux. Sad state of affairs but it is what it is. They use lots of custom stuff and they won’t spill the beans on the hardware specification even for the open source guys to do drivers. Same with Avid stuff. I got a 48 channel pci-e 424 system that I’d love to move to Linux but it’s just not working atm. Haha.

If you want to do pro audio in Linux, you need to use RME. It’ll work out of the box. As for building Cabbage, I had to open JUCE IDE and re-point to the lib dirs. I’ve got it running in Focal Fossa just fine which is bleeding edge Ubuntu… If I would’ve seen this sooner I would’ve just sent you a tarball of the application, but sounds like you’re back on windows. :stuck_out_tongue:

@kilon This is a beautiful project, seems a lot of work !

I am using LMMS too, started in 2014 and now I make EDM / Bigroom this kind of stuff ! And I made ToneZ to fullfil my needs !

@rorywalsh yeah I’m here sorry for the long delay I didn’t received notifications :confused:

So yeah, using Vestige works well on Windows & Mac, but we still never made ToneZ work on Linux… Even using Wine, if I remember a user tried this and it crashes or didn’t load
That’s why the LV2 export option that is under progress on Github is maybe the solution !

LV2 hosting is also in progress LMMS side, they are working on it so hopefully one day Cabbage + LMMS will be compatible through LV2 on Linux !

Hi @Retornz, I think notifications might have been disabled by default after the last system upgrade. Can you to your preferences and check that you are watching topics, and that you get email notifications as soon as someone mentions you in a post. I would like to enable this by default, but I don’t want to annoy users either :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Btw, nice to hear from you! I hope all is well. I’m still working on the LV2 export option. It’s going kind of slow, but it’s going!

1 Like