Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Distributing plugins on MacOS (Part 1)

Just an update on the issue I was having earlier in this thread - turns out that the reason why my plugin wouldn’t work on a sans Cabbage machine was because of the way I distributed the plugin file (.component, .vst, etc). Neglecting to zip the file before uploading it to a storage site like Dropbox or Google Drive caused certain files within the plugin package to disappear. Zipping the plugin before upload solved this issue.

Top tip! Thanks for the update :+1:

Hi @CedricM, I hate to be pedantic, but would you mind asking in a new thread? Otherwise it will be pretty hard for others to find this info afterwards.

Hi, Rory! Would be possibile to make this in Linux, in some way? Thanks!

It should be trivial enough to distribute for Linux, so long as your end-users are using a similar flavour of Linux. The only issue is whether or not Csound is installed. Your installer script could install Csound before installing the plugin binaries. But I am not sure there is a current Csound installer for Linux. I think the last one was for Csound 6.15, but that should work fine.

Thanks for answering Rory!,
I created a installer script for debian based distros by instructions in the build.md file, and it worked fine. But I could’t create an installer script for other distros. For example, I tried to build csound on arch linux still following the instructions in build.md file in “General Linux without acces”, with all the dependencies required, but cabbage plugins still didn’t work!(I tried to import the plugins in Reaper and Ardour). Maybe I failed some step…
PS
I hope you can understand my english, I’m from Italy:

Are you attempting to distribute the debian based plugins on arch? I’m not sure how successful that will be. Your best bet is to build Cabbage yourself on an arch machine, and distribute the plugins you export with that.

• The relinking of csound can be done for all platforms, right ?
  • In the juce’ packaging info, there’s no info on linux ; does anyone know of a good installer software
    for linux machines ?

No, relinking doesn’t work on Windows.

DPKG or any number of package managers will work fine for Linux. But you’ll also have to make sure Csound is installed, so that might mean getting your install to build Csound before installing your plugins.

1 Like

Linux uses both LEV2 and VST(3), in its specific folder.
It would be handy to just have something just as straight-forward as “Inno Setup”, so that I could prepare an installer on windows for linux machines that puts this file in the right folder.