Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Distributing plugins on MacOS (Part 2)

Ahh right - was overthinking it. Thanks.

@flaviogaete This worked for me

2 Likes

Should the name be different each time we run this? (i.e once for AU and once for VST)

For example

sudo ./prepareForDistribution.sh ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/PluginName.vst PluginNameVST “Developer ID Application: R Walsh (4R359YV9BF)” myAppleIdId my_app_password

sudo ./prepareForDistribution.sh ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/PluginName.vst PluginNameAudioUnit “Developer ID Application: R Walsh (4R359YV9BF)” myAppleIdId my_app_password

Yes, except you have the wrong folder in your path for the AU version…

Right - just for the example…

I keep getting this error?
xcrun: error: unable to find utility "altool", not a developer tool or in PATH

Hmm, I hate to say it, but it looks like you maybe have to update your version of XCode. What version are you currently using? This is part of the command line tools.

Wait a minute - maybe I need to update Cabbage… it looks like the binary is still named “Puremagnetik” but it’s looking for a binary with PluginName

Ahh - never downloaded those on my M1. Let me update everything and get back…

No, you replace PluginName with the name of your plugin, i.e, Puremagnetik, or SuperSynth, or whatever.

1 Like

I only installed CLT - shouldn’t that be enough or the whole of Xcode :roll_eyes:?

Cool, thanks!

I think the CLTs should be enough as you don’t need to actually build anything in XCode.

Bringing this thread back… On notarization and sending to Apple I get this warning:

2023-10-03 10:04:03.510 *** Warning: altool has been deprecated for notarization and starting in late 2023 will no longer be supported by the Apple notary service. You should start using notarytool to notarize your software. (-1030)

Do we need to prepare for this?

Nothing for Cabbage to do here, but I guess anyone notarising plugins will need to start using notarytool?

I guess I’m referring more to the notarization script you supplied for this — not cabbage.

ah yes, that will need to be updated. I’m afraid I don’t have the time to update just now, so if anyone else wants a go…? FWIW, here is an up to date howto which uses notary tool. I’ve had it bookmarked for months with the intention of using it to update my distribution process, but I’ve not had to distribute anything in that time. I will soon though :grimacing:

Thanks Rory

Looks like this is going to be phased out Nov 1st! Going to notarize everything I need for the next few weeks… err. i guess tomorrow :slight_smile: and then see if I can solve this one…

We’re following up on our previous email announcing that you’ll soon need to transition to the notarytool command-line utility (included with Xcode 13 or later) in order to continue notarizing your macOS software with Apple. Notarizing software with altool was deprecated in Xcode 13, and the Apple notary service will no longer accept uploads from altool as of November 1, 2023. Existing notarized software will continue to function properly.

For information on notarizing your apps, read TechNote TN3147: Migrating to the latest notarization tool.

1 Like

I’d like to thank Apple for making distribution so much easier (skip).
MacOS dominates the industry in music ?
Well, you won’t have much use with my software if you don’t know how to think.