Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Errors trying to build on x86-64 arch linux

@rorywalsh and @Bleighh Hi to you both. I edited the cabbage build script a week or two ago, it’s getting the cabbage development branch and building it against juce 5.4.7, it you’d like that changed Rory it’s no problem. Sometimes there are coding errors in the cabbage repo that prevent compilation, like _putenv typo that made it in just after I changed the script. I’ve trying a build again now, but assuming the repo is building and Bleighh’s system is up to building software there shouldn’t be any hassles.

A big issue that’s been happening with arch linux over the last few years is newbies wanting to build stuff from aur without any idea what they’re doing. It’s worth keeping in mind arch is a distro intended for power users who abandoned ubuntu due to cannonical’s incompetence and hype. It was never intended to be friendly to newbies. Also I’m hardly a real arch maintainer and I may have missed some build time dependencies in my script because I have a machine setup for building software.

What is normal is about a million warnings that freak non-developer people out. What is normal is cabbage taking a good long time to compile on linux systems at least. What isn’t is crashing on startup.

I’ve had this new cabbage crash right on startup because I didn’t have my USB audio interface hooked up and wasn’t running jack. Once I deleted my old cabbage settings from ~/.config it all worked. The build I did about a week ago starts up just fine, I have another build running now.

There’s been a lot of chaos in my life. Pandemic, learning 3d printing at a million miles an hour, attempting to sort out post pandemic employment kinda chaos. Looks like I’ve just been hired as a bicycle mechanic, which drives me less crazy than software development. I haven’t been using cabbage, I had a request to fix the build scripts and I did, I checked than it ran. You could easily have issues you don’t know about because arch is building with GCC11 which I have no idea if you’ve ever attempted.

I’ll add to this post if my new build of cabbage crashes on startup.

edit: a few typos

@rorywalsh and @Bleighh the current build of cabbage on an up to date arch linux (not manjaro that’s behind and different) crashes. But it doesn’t crash on startup, it does it when you try to open a file. Makes no difference if it an example or if I try to open some of my work.

It appears to be something to do with opening audio devices, it did the crash thing when I tried switching from alsa to jack (with jack running). It doesn’t print anything to the terminal when I try to open a file, it just exits.

Rory in future it’d be a good idea to turn cabbage into an appimage, the pipewire audio server I mentioned quite a while ago that replaces both pulse and jack will likely be up to the task within the next 6 months or so.

Thanks for this @lorien. Hmm, I won’t be able to test on Arch for a few days as I don’t have access to an Arch setup here. Is there any way to get around the crash be choosing different audio drivers?

@rorywalsh I plugged in my usb interface and setup jack to use it, started jack and cabbage, was able to switch from ALSA to jack, but when I tried opening a file Cabbage just exited, again printing nothing in the console.

Is there any chance you run the build script with “debug”? Then run the IDE through gdb? That should help us identify the problem.

I can certainly mod the build script to add a -D"DEBUG=True" flag or something and send it to you, but I haven’t used a debugger in like 15 years, never mastered gdb, and the only code I’ve been writing in ages is CAD modeling scripts. No time either, I have to finish work on my main transport bike among other things. I’ve put a note on the page saying it doesn’t work and you’ll look into it.

No need, that much I can easily do myself. But debugging on an Arch system when I don’t have one is the problem. No worries. I’ll sort something out, but it won’t be for a week or so.

1 Like

a properly up to date one with a simple installer and aurhelper by default is endevouros, just yay Cabbage and choose 1 will bring in all the dependencies.