Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Problem loading Cabbage plugins in Native Instruments Maschine

It hasn’t in any other host I’ve tested with, but there is always one. The plugin name and id should technically be built into the plugin at compile time. Let me try something…

Ok, can you open the plugins once again with Hexed or whatever you’re using. Search for the string CabbRORY. Change RORY to something unique. Save and try again. If it doesn’t work with this change it’s because Cabbage overwrites that key when a plugin is launched. So maybe if I stop Cabbage from doing that, you might be able to convince Maschine that each plugin is somehow unique. :crossed_fingers:

Edit: you might as well try changing the Cabb string too while you’re at it…

Will try that in the afternoon.

But what I found out this morning: there are many strings “pluginID” in the dll/vst3, all (as far as i investigated it) followed by zeros, here is an example:

But where should I expect the unique pluginID? If the pluginID is not written to the binary, then all the plugins have the same useseless dummy ID, and that may confuse Maschine. That woukld also explain, why the binaries are absolutely identical.

That pluginId reference is a red herring. The CabbRORY string is what you need to modify. That’s the placeholder plugin ID. But when a Cabbage plugin is launched by a host, it scans the .csd file an dynamically updates the plugin ID. Maschine obviously isn’t happy about this step.

That could be a good idea - the only problem: there is no “CabbRORY” in the file… :frowning:

Strange, I searched through some Cabbage VSTs yesterday and found that string. Maybe I was looking at old plugins. Crap. Give me sec…

a sec later… yes, I must have scanned an older plugin. Ok, let me build one here with an embedded plugin ID…

Yeah, that didn’t really work either. I’ll have to park this for now and think about it further. I thought I could explicitly set the plugin code and then hex edit it after, but that doesn’t seem to work either. I’ll keep looking into it.

1 Like

In the meantime, I tried several VST wrappers, I ended with:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork

This seems to do the job (and much more…). The first of the other two that I tested, had a really horrible UI, and the second cutted of the release of some notes. These both were useless to me.

Of course, a real solution of the problem would be nice, but now, that I have the blue cat… I am happy so far.

The support call at NI is still open, perhaps I get some useful information from there. If so, I let you know.

1 Like