Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage remains on with window closed

This is with ubuntu 16.10.

I’ve been running it with several instruments showing in the editor. Sometimes they’ll be active but with the > button showing. (Some instances may still be trying to run muted from the last time they crashed jack?)

The window persists for a long time after I’ve hit the close button and saved the patch.

Even after I’ve finally closed the window by nearly brute force, the system continues to run slow.

Running ‘system monitor’ I find very little usage of cpu but a LOT of memory use. Being used by… Cabbage, supposed to have quit some time ago.

Are you building from the the latest master branch? I fixed some memory problems the a week or so ago.

No, I’ve been sticking with the build you sent a few months ago.

I’d thought something in the cluttered way I was using it had stopped it from exiting cleanly.

If it was a bug, something that shouldn’t have happened even under unreasonable use – okay, then I’ll rebuild, thanks!

Okay, I’ve now (unintentionally) removed the Cabbage I did have, from the menu and from the system itself – crashed the desktop –

and trying again from a fresh login, using
https://github.com/rorywalsh/cabbage/tree/54af95716b21bb09133e5673441e1108fc259b2c

I get a million error messages ending in

MakefileHost:362: recipe for target ‘build/intermediate-host/Release/juce_audio_formats_d349f0c8.o’ failed
make: *** [build/intermediate-host/Release/juce_audio_formats_d349f0c8.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/Cabbage’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbagePluginSynth.so’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbagePluginEffect.so’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbageStudio’: No such file or directory

?

Okay, I reused the package you’d sent via 2b6f96b3-ab90-5d69-838c-00003200587f

and that compiles fine.

But for the version you’ve just mentioned, where you fixed the memory problem a few weeks back – Where should I look for that?

The main master branch. I can help you build this when I get back from my break, early next week. Sorry for the inconvenience…

Btw, this is the repo for the current version:

That’s the first place to look.

The old cabaiste compiles. The new one complained that I didn’t have webkitgtk4, then when I installed that started upchucking again, starting w:

"…
Compiling CabbageToolbarFactory.cpp
…/…/Source/Application/CabbageToolbarFactory.cpp: In member function ‘juce::ToolbarButton* CabbageToolbarFactory::createButtonFromSVG(int, const juce::String&, juce::String, juce::String)’:
…/…/Source/Application/CabbageToolbarFactory.cpp:145:54: warning: ‘void juce::Button::setToggleState(bool, bool)’ is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
togglePlayButton->setToggleState (true, false);
^
In file included from …/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/system/juce_StandardHeader.h:56:0,
from …/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/juce_core.h:174,
from …/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_basics/juce_audio_basics.h:52,
from …/…/Source/Application/…/…/JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h:17,
from …/…/Source/Application/…/CabbageIds.h:23,
from …/…/Source/Application/CabbageToolbarFactory.h:20,
from …/…/Source/Application/CabbageToolbarFactory.cpp:20:
…/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_gui_basics/buttons/juce_Button.h:351:27: note: declared here
JUCE_DEPRECATED (void setToggleState (bool, bool));
^
…/…/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_core/system/juce_PlatformDefs.h:265:57: note: in definition of macro ‘JUCE_DEPRECATED’
#define JUCE_DEPRECATED(functionDef) functionDef attribute ((deprecated))
^~~~~~~~~~~
Compiling AudioGraph.cpp
Compiling CabbagePluginEditor.cpp
Compiling CabbagePluginProcessor.cpp
Compiling CsoundPluginEditor.cpp
Compiling CsoundPluginProcessor.cpp
Compiling GenericCabbageEditor.cpp
Compiling GenericCabbagePluginProcessor.cpp
…/…/Source/Audio/Plugins/CsoundPluginProcessor.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void CsoundPluginProcessor::initAllCsoundChannels(juce::ValueTree)’:
…/…/Source/Audio/Plugins/CsoundPluginProcessor.cpp:140:25: error: ‘class Csound’ has no member named ‘SetStringChannel’; did you mean ‘GetStringChannel’?

What version of Csound are you using? I think you may need to upgrade…?

6.08 (One step ahead of the package system. Compiling, compiling…!)

Upgrade to 6.09 is blocked by a glitch in the csound compilation, so far. (Asking about that on the csound list. Seems to me there was a way to compile things a little bit sloppy that worked for that a few years back(?))

I saw your post to the Csound list. Why not simply disable building the CsoundAC stuff? I tend to do this by default as I usually have issues building it.

Okay, then, how does one do that?!

I can’t get to a pc right now, but you need to disable it when you generate the name files with cmake. It’s something like cmake -DBuild_CsoundAC=0, but I’m not sure, it might just be -DCsoundAC=0. Perhaps ask in the Csound list. Someone there should be able to give you the correct flags.

cmake -DBuild_whatever=0 does indeed get rid of the whatever from the make file targets.

CsoundAC itself doesn’t seem to be what triggers the problem for me. If not jcsound6 then java_interface and python_interface for a start – but still error messages outbarf profusely!

Disable Python and Java?

cmake -DBUILD_PYTHON_INTERFACE=0 -DBUILD_JAVA_INTERFACE=0 -DBUILD_CSOUND_AC_PYTHON_INTERFACE=0 …/csound

phew!

And yet:

make: *** No rule to make target ‘…/…/JuceLibraryCode/include_juce_audio_plugin_client_VST2.cpp’, needed by ‘build/intermediate/Release/include_juce_audio_plugin_client_VST2_dd551e08.o’. Stop.
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbagePluginEffect.so’: No such file or directory
Cleaning CabbagePluginSynth
make: *** No rule to make target ‘…/…/JuceLibraryCode/include_juce_audio_plugin_client_VST2.cpp’, needed by ‘build/intermediate/Release/include_juce_audio_plugin_client_VST2_dd551e08.o’. Stop.
cp: cannot stat ‘./build/CabbagePluginSynth.so’: No such file or directory

Hi forrest,

Glad you could build Csound at least. I can confirm your problem. The juce_audio_plugin_client module is missing from JuceLibraryCode/modules.

What happens if you just run
make -f MakeCabbageIDE
You have the VST ask?

That one works as expected. The problem is when buildCabbage processes MakePluginEffect and MakePluginSynth. And those ones fail because there is this missing module in JuceLibraryCode/modules. I think there was a commit in May that deleted it.

Edit: Found it. https://github.com/rorywalsh/cabaiste/commit/1e8c0df2d36546137b3d54520759868b1e4a2147