Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

[FIXED] Problem with VST from Cabbage in LMMS

Hey Rory, I tried to load VST from Cabbage in LMMS, and I found some issues :

• When I load the VST in LMMS (I tried with some example synth provided with Cabbage) it loads, without errors, but when I try to put a note in the pianoroll the sound freeze and the note keeps playing endlessly. (You can download LMMS and try to reproduce this issue)

• Combobox are not clickable (they “blink” and it’s impossible to choose an option)

• Settings are not saved with the project, that means when the project loads, the VST has it’s default settings.

I am not sure every issues are strictly related to Cabbage, that’s why I opened the same topic in the LMMS github to infrom the dev, and hopefully correct some bugs to make Cabbage & LMMS perfectly compatible :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for reading this post, and thanks for creating such a great tool !

-------------------------SYSTEM CONFIG------------------------
Cabbage 64bits v2.0.02
LMMS 64bits v1.1.3 (same issue with beta releases)
Windows 7 64bits

Let me know if I can help in any way !

Regards,

[details=Summary]T0NIT0 RMX
[/details]

I’m seeing similar issues here. All of these synths play fine from Reaper/Live/FL studio etc., so I think this issue is certainly local to LMMS. However, it could still be the fault of Cabbage. I’ll take a look and see if I can figure what’s going wrong.

1 Like

Alright ! Thanks a lot Rory, I already let them now and they are working on it too, let me know if you have a fix or if you figure out what is wrong !
Cabbage is awesome and would be perfect if it was fully compatible with LMMS !

I’ll probably try to create the issue on Linux first as it is easier for me to debug there. Have you tried on Linux? Does the problem present there too?

Alright, I don’t have linux sorry, I will try to get it to check ! I’ll let you know

EDIT : More than 3 hours that I’m trying now and I can’t load any VST under LMMS on Linux, no matter what I tried.

EDIT2 : My lastest option is to build LMMS from source.

Does it include non-Cabbage VSTs?

I just tried myself this minute and I can’t seem to get any 3rd party VSTs to show in LMMS on Linux. I have to say, I don’t know this software very well, but the steps I took on Windows certainly don’t work here. Maybe it’s a known issue for LMMS?

Yes, it includes non Cabbage VST but as I told you, I’m not an expert, so maybe I’m doing it wrong

Yes but maybe try this : https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/4103#issuecomment-356524698 and force it to load bits VTS, it should work !

I’m trying to build it right now !

But isn’t that about loading windows dlls in Linux through Wine? We don’t even need that. I had assumed that LMMS can handle native Linux VSTs?

Yes, it uses Wine, what do you mean by “native linux vst” ?
(btw I successfully built LMMS in Linux, I’m now trying to load VST’s)

One can produce native Linux VSTs using the Steinberg SDK. That’s what Cabbage does. All the major hosts on Linux read this format. Bitwig, Ardour, Reaper, they all load these type of native plugins. Each time you export a plugin with Cabbage on Linux it produces a native VST.

Okay, I see, so I think it should work then, I will ask the dev and Discord and I’ll let you know what they said about it

They said : lmms doesn’t load native vst or lv2 on Linux

There you go then. Back to Windows we go.

Yeah… I have a software to debug on Windows, like you load the app into it and you can see logs, I’m trying to find it !

EDIT : here it is ! https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/

Dependency Walker? That will show you all the dlls a program tries to load.

1 Like

Oh ! Great tool ! Didn’t know this one !
Do you think we can know the cause of the issue with these tools ?

Hey Rory, I just found out something really interesting !

On LMMS on Windows, in VESTIGE, when you load VST controls using the LMMS interface (the little wrench tool behind the folder icon) and you edit you synth params from here it saves & recall VST settings with the project !

Maybe this new info will be helpful, I don’t know but hopefully it will help !

I’m going to tell it to the LMMS dev because now there is hope :slight_smile:

EDIT : The bug involving setting not saved is almost solved, actually it only happens that LMMS don’t see when params change in Cabbage’s VST, but if after tweaking some settings you (for example) put a note in a pianoroll and save the project, it will save & recall VST’s params.

Now the last bugs are :

• Note that keeps playing when a user clicks on the pianoroll
  • Bugged combobox

Hey @rorywalsh, we found the cause of the problem, it was a double midi event in LMMS, this bug is fixed :slight_smile:
Thank you for your help !

Now only one little think buggd is the bugged combobox ! But it’s not urgent !

That’s great. Thanks for letting us know.

[EDIT: I’ve updated Cabbage to use the latest version of JUCE. There is a chance that this issue will now be resolved. I’ll let you know when there are new binaries ready for Windows so you can try it out ]

1 Like