Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Bypassing plugin, reporting to score/vst

Hi everyone,

is there a way to report the running vst that it was bypassed in a DAW, and the other way round that it was activated again?

Would need it to free memory etc.

Thanks!

//Rootnote

I’ll look into this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it seems that most hosts handle this differently, which makes it quite difficult to implement on the plugin end. Some hosts call a different process method when in bypass mode while other hosts just stop calling the main processing function altogether. There is a interesting thread about it on the JUCE forum. So in short, i’m not sure how Cabbage can handle this in a consistent way across multiple hosts. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

thanks @rorywalsh !

Is it possible to catch the events (in the logs somewhere) from the DAW so that I could handle each DAW differently then?

I am mainly interested in the well known DAWs like Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, Studio One

thanks again and sorry for opening the “pandora’s box” with it.

I’masking around among other plugin developers there is some kind of fool-proof way to do this. I’ll let you know what they say. When you say you wish to free up memory when bypassing, what exactly are you looking to do. Can it not be done while the plugin is actually running?

Well, in my case when I switch off, I can hear for a short second the signal delayed, and when enabling it again same is happening, sort of buffering or something. A little bit annoying in use when switching on/off. But maybe a bypass in the plugin it self could prevent it , but not when using the DAWs mechanic

Yes, I see the problem. It’s certainly something I’m going to look into further. I’ll keep you posted :slight_smile:

@EyalAmir on the Audio Programmers discord channel kindly sent me some code I could use. But there is a major issue. If the plugin is being bypassed, the main processing function is no longer being called, and if the main processing function is not being called then Csound is no longer performing because it is in the main processing function that we process each ksmps block of samples. So I’m afraid to say I don’t think this will ever work.