Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage crashes on trying to run example "Padsynth.csd"

Brand new user of Cabbage here, just playing with the samples and I noticed that it crashes (“Cabbage Stopped Working”) when loading the example “PadSynth.csd”. This is version 2.0 on Windows 8. . I have checked some of the other samples and have not found another that crashes, but I have not made an exhaustive search.
Is there a log file somewhere to find where the problem might be?

What version of Csound are you using? I’ll give it a whirl myself and see what gives.

Hmm, the version it shipped with , let me see… 6.10.
Actually running csound on the command line gave an warning about plug in directory, which is wierd. But i added an empty directory that had the name it was looking for and it still crashes in Cabbage, so i guess that is not it
Thanks for taking a look!

Hang on, it could be that OPCODE6DIR64 has not been added to the system variables? Can you check? Just open the command line and run
set
You should see an entry for OPCDE6DIR64, if not the installer didn’t add it, in which case, I need to update the installer. In the mean time, simple set OPCDE6DIR64 to point to the plugins64 dir from within the Csound root folder.

Yeah OPCODE6DIR64 is set. That directory did not exist though until i just created it, so there is nothing in there. Is there supposed to be something in there?

So OPCODE6DIR64 is pointing to a dir that doesn’t exist? Mine points to this dir:

Hmm, that looks like what is in my Csoudn6_x64/lib directory. Odd

I made a symbolic link from plugins64 to lib and that fixed the crash!

Nice work. So it looks like the installer is not installing correctly. It’s odd because the, oh wait, it’s probably my appveyor script that’s off. Anyhow, thanks for reporting this. I’ll get on it. I need to release a new version anyhow with some minor tweaks, so this is a good reason to do it sooner rather than later.

1 Like

@DrEntropy, would you mind testing this latest win64 installer and telling me if it install Ok? Especially the version of Csound that ships with it? you might uninstall or rename the previous installation first just to be sure? Thanks, much appreciated.

Ok will do. I am restarting now. I need to do this otherwise i get dll not found (Csounds64.dll).

Are you installing as admin?

Yes. Installed as admin. Actually even after restart it didn’t work, I had to edit the path to point to Csound6_x64/bin,it was pointing to Csound6 top directory. This could be an artifact of my previous installations or something. But after doing that it seems to work fine , only tested a couple of patches. Cheers and thanks for the great software!

Hmm, I’ll double check the installer. Thanks for checking.

No problem, happy to help.

Hello,
I noticed also that depending on which version of Csound (zip or .Exe), the default path is not the same for installing. Also, the zip is of course not setting the env variables and the doc is no clear on that point (not up to date). It is important to set these (opcode6lib64 and to add Csound to the path). Hope this helps.

The latest Cabbage installer ships with an optional install of Csound which, if selected, sets the required envs, as of today that is :wink: The latest .exe installer of Csound should now have the same default path as before i.e, “C:\Program Files\Csound6_x64”. Its been updated to align with previous installers.

1 Like