Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Cabbage crashes very often on my mac

Hi @rorywalsh,

I have two issues with Cabbage:

• I have to try 4-5 times to launch it before it succesfully loads. Otherwise the program hangs and I have to kill the process. After several retries it works like a charm.
  • It randomly crashes when I launch the vst I’m working on. Today it happened every 10mn!

I’m on MacOS Ventura 13.1, with the latest beta package you provided for me.

Do you know how I can access the logs to help debugging the program?

Thanks,

Julien / nymano

You can add logger(“file name of log”) to your form widget and it should create a log in the same dir as the vst. If Csound crashes it takes cabbage down with it. There is nothing I can do about that, but if it’s a cabbage issue we can sort it. You can pm me your instrument and I can run it through the debugger here. I’m pretty busy for the next week or so but will try to get around it as quick as I can.

Ok thanks I will add the logger and keep you updated

Thanks!

I’m not sure how much info you’ll be able to attain from the built in logger but let me know. Hopefully it’s a simple fix. If you could make it crash it less randomly that would be great :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @nymano, any progress on this? I’m experiencing the issue where I’ll have to launch it several times and it hangs, before it loads after running a 5-6 times…

Did you manage to find a fix for this? Thank you

Are you using the latest Dev build?

Hi, FYI same issue with the latest dev build and previous builds tested

I closed Cabbage yesterday, then wanted to open it again but it didn’t work. I tried to open, force quit, 5-6 times and it worked again.

Build: latest
MBP 2018, Ventura 13.1

How can I help troubleshoot this? I tried the logger but couldn’t figure our how to get meaningful information.

Edit: could it be linked with audio settings or concurrency with the audio driver (sorry for the poor phrasing I’m not familiar with this space)? For example, I just closed Cabbage and had to restart my headphones and re-launch Spotify to be able to hear sounds. I’m not sure it is linked and I don’t exactly know how to reproduce the issue, I can try if needed, but maybe it has something to do with this issue.

This is odd, I haven’t noticed any issues on my end. I know some of the recent dev snapshots have been a little hit and miss due to some internal code changes, but it was more a case of them simply not compiling rather than crashing. You can try removing the Cabbage2.settings file from you Application Support folder and restarting. I guess it might also be worth trying to change the default audio device. Mayve there is a conflict with other software using the audio card, but I’ve always found Macs to be quite flexible in this regard.

Does this happen with all .csd files are only some? Could it be an issue with Csound? A problem there will cause a crash in Cabbage. Have you tried running your .csd from the command line? You’ll want to swap -n -d in the CsOptions with -odac first so it actually performs. I find this is a good way to spot certain issues that might cause Cabbage to crash. And if it is a particular file that generally tends to upll it down, can you PM it to me so i can check on my end? Apologies for the pain in the ass this is. Togehter I’m sure we can resolve it.