Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Csound and VCV Rack

A few people have asked about using VCV Rack with Cabbage, I promise to make this possible in the future, but until then you can check out the following project which features a basic template:
https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules
I just posted instructions on how to get it building on Windows. You will need to do some C++ coding, but it’s not very tricky. Csound does all the hard work. I’m sure René wuld be happy to answer questions about it through his github page. And if not, just ask here :wink:

I am very interested in making a csound VCV, i would love to get gendy working in VCV via csound. I found this one

; Select audio/midi flags here according to platform -odac ;;;realtime audio out ;-iadc ;;;uncomment -iadc if realtime audio input is needed too ; For Non-realtime ouput leave only the line below: ; -o oscil.wav -W ;;; for file output any platform

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

instr 1

kenv expseg 0.01, p30.1, 1, p30.8, 1, p30.1, 0.001
kosc oscil 0.1, 3/p3, 1
seed 20120123
kdis bexprnd kosc
knum linseg 3, p3
0.75, 10, p30.20, 12, p30.05, 5
asig gendy 0.2, kosc60, 6, 0.7, kdis, 500kenv, 4800, 0.23, 0.3, 12, knum
aflt resonz asig, 1400, 400
aout comb kenvaflt0.1, 0.9, 0.1
outs aout, aout

endin

f1 0 8192 10 1 0 .8 0 0 .3 0 0 0 .1

i1 0 20
e

Could one use the csound-reverb example as a template? there are [obviously] a few more parameter fields i am just wondering if i should just focus on the cabbage gendy first and then transition over

what do you think Rory?

If you’re hoping to make a synth then you’ll need to look into how VCV Rack handles MIDI, if it’s just going to be an effect then you can use the reverb as a template. For now it might be best to design it in Cabbage and then move on from there.

1 Like

thanks
i kind of figures that and started last night
i also found another thing you may have encountered already but i don;t want to confuse threads

pp

MIDI is handled through the MIDI-CV module which you can then connect where you like. I have a simple Csound synth running with it. It all works very nicely. Next up, support for exporting instruments from Cabbage :wink:

1 Like

this is going to be game changer

Hey guys, I found this thread and was wondering if there have been any updates on this endeavor. I am actually interested in a mac version of this. I followed the link to the repo for building a windows version and am studying the source code. Would anyone happen to have a project that will build a mac version of the VCV Rack Csound module?

Have you looked at this. Needs updating but worked well with earlier versions of VCV Rack. Not sure it will compile out of the box with the current version. The VCV Rack API changes so often it’s hard to keep up.

Hey Rory thanks for getting back to me. Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. I like the flexibility of being able to load cabbage csound instruments as opposed to having a rack that is hard coded to an instrument. Although perhaps in the future it would be nice to have a csound vcvrack library that encapsulates the main opcodes of csound so that it is truly modular. I will take a stab at compiling things with the latest SDK and let you know.

Hi @Apalomba. I’ve started work on this now. I can’t say how long it will take, but I would like to get it completed sooner rather than later.

That is good to hear, I have been so slammed here I have not been able to look at it. :laughing:

New version available with the latest release:

And some additional info can be found here.

p.s. please excuse the typos on that page! I put it up in a bit of a hurry as I was under pressure to get it released…

sh*t the bed that’s amazing!

:joy: Let me know how you get on with it.

Hey Rory,

I gave this a try. It works like a charm. I am so exited to integrate my favorite opcodes in to the vcvrack world. Thank you!

That’s good to know. It’s a little odd having to use channels for audio in and out, but it opens up way more routing options. I’ve not really pushed it, so if you do hit any problems let me know.