Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Csound output? Why it doesn't work for me

Hi all,

I was watching the tutorial section and I saw that if you push a note on the keyboard you get the values in the output box.

I don’t understand why I get the sound but the Csound output doesn’t write the event.
I’ve triaed also using some opcodes as printk and printk2…but I didn’t get it.

Probably is my fault, I’m a Csound user but I need to understand the differences… :smile:

Thanks a lot!

Are you referring to the csoundoutput widget? the output that gets printed to the editor in the embedded output component? or the output that gets printed to the floating Csound output window?

If you are editing a file with the editor it will steal all the output messages from Csound so they won’t display in either the csound output widget, or the floating Csound output window.

The csound output widget itself is typically used when debugging plugins as one doesn’t have easy access to the Csound output, as is the case when developing plugins with the editor. But ti will still work so long as you don’t open the editor.

The floating output window is typically used in conjunction with an external text editor. If this doesn’t answer your question, give me a little more detail and we can try again :wink:

Thanks for your quick answer!

I’m referrring to Csound output in the source editor, if I create an instrument I can’t see anything writing to the output, but I’m not in “edit mode”. Maybe I have a problem with phython on my windows version 8.1…

Remove the -m0d from the CsOptions. That stops printing of standard messages. But anything printed with one of the print opcodes should be fine. Try adding

prints "hello world"

To instrument 1. That should print fine one you hit a key.The reason -m0d is added by default is that it can slow things down if you are generating lots of notes a second.

Now I understand and it works fine…thanks for your time

have a nice day!