Cabbage Logo
Back to Cabbage Site

Exporing VST's

Once you have created your instruments, you will need to export them as plugins from the ‘File’ menu in the Cabbage IDE. When you export an instrument Cabbage will create a plugin binary with a .so, .vst, or .dll file extension, depending on your OS. Cabbage will also make a copy of your current text file and place it into the same directory as the plugin file. The newly created text file and plugin file will have the same file name (with different file extensions).

Source: https://cabbageaudio.com/docs/exporting_plugins/

Does this mean that one cannot export a Windows VST plugin from a Linux version of Cabbage?

That is correct.

OK - thanks.

If you really need to export for other platforms, and don’t have the means of accessing them directly, you can look at github actions, or Azure DevOps for remotely building for different platforms. It’s bit of a pain to set up, but once it’s up and running it’s easy to maintain.

Well - I had a Windows version of Cabbage running on my Linux Mint computer under Wine and that version exported Windows VST’s. So it can be done even on Linux, only I foolishly deleted that version when I got the Linux version of Cabbage running. Only after that I discovered that I could not choose to export Windows VST’s with the Linux version of Cabbage. For my own use of Cabbage that isn’t much of a problem as I’m using Linux, but now I cannot share my plugins with others who are using Windows.

What is Azure DevOps?

I use for for continuous integration and development. So whenever I like, I can trigger a build across all platforms.

Oh - that’s a whole new study on itself. So I will just go on with the Linux version of Cabbage for now and see what will come of it. If I succeed in building some interesting plugins then I can always again install a Windows version of Cabbage under Wine for exporting Windows VST’s. For now I have enough to do on getting to know Cabbage.

1 Like

After an upgrade to Linux Mint 20.3 I have succeeded in installing both the Linux and the Windows version of Cabbage but now the Windows version gave me the most trouble because I had to install Csound also in .wine/drive_c/Program Files/ even though I already had Csound installed elsewhere on my computer. Apparently the Windows version of Cabbage doesn’t see Csound outside of the .wine directory. Good to know!

I’ve never tried running Cabbage with Wine, but good to know :+1:

I want to be able to also export Windows VST’s for people who use Windows so I need both the Windows and the Linux versions of Cabbage. :wink:

Ah yes, now I follow. The other way to achieve this is to use a CI service like Github actions or Azure. That way you can target MacOS too while you’re at it.

Yes - but I don’t know enough about it to find my way in the developers world. I hardly understand anything of what I read on a site like GitHub.